Joby Gopro Mount

News and updates from the author // Read only
EvolutionX
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Joby Gopro Mount

Post by EvolutionX »

I am getting rid of my Drift Ghost and buying a Gopro 4 Silver so I can use it with HLT. I never liked the Gopro mounts. Always a puzzle to get it to aim where I want it to aim. Has anybody tried this one? Looks like it used a ball mount so it can be adjusted easier.

Thank you

http://joby.com/suction-cup-with-locking-arm
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Joby Gopro Mount

Post by Harry »

Looks nice, but looks like composite material. I have no experience with it, but given it is comparable pricy, you may opt for a RAM mount solution too. They have GoPro adapters available too. Start with the recommended mount on www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios (or android) and check for the GoPro adapter options.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
EvolutionX
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by EvolutionX »

Harry wrote:Looks nice, but looks like composite material. I have no experience with it, but given it is comparable pricy, you may opt for a RAM mount solution too. They have GoPro adapters available too. Start with the recommended mount on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios (or android) and check for the GoPro adapter options.

Harry
I'll look into that. I have it for the iphone. I need something for outside the car and something for the roll bar. The bar on the roll bar runs at an angle so I need something that I can adjust the camera so it's level. I was thinking the ball joint style would make it easier. This is what makes the Drift Ghost superior to gopro. You mount it any way and just turn the lens to level it.

Thanks for the info.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

EvolutionX wrote: I'll look into that. I have it for the iphone. I need something for outside the car and something for the roll bar. The bar on the roll bar runs at an angle so I need something that I can adjust the camera so it's level. I was thinking the ball joint style would make it easier. This is what makes the Drift Ghost superior to gopro. You mount it any way and just turn the lens to level it.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, agreed. The RAM systems come with exactly this balls making it very easy to adjust to the position wanted. The Joby looks like the same system. Differences are it is more colorful and composite only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
EvolutionX
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by EvolutionX »

Harry wrote:
EvolutionX wrote: I'll look into that. I have it for the iphone. I need something for outside the car and something for the roll bar. The bar on the roll bar runs at an angle so I need something that I can adjust the camera so it's level. I was thinking the ball joint style would make it easier. This is what makes the Drift Ghost superior to gopro. You mount it any way and just turn the lens to level it.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, agreed. The RAM systems come with exactly this balls making it very easy to adjust to the position wanted. The Joby looks like the same system. Differences are it is more colorful and composite only.

- Harry
Out of curiosity, can I set the gopro to be the only cam and use the app just for timing and data recording since the phone is so shaky? Will it automatically ad the overlay to the gopro footage?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

EvolutionX wrote: Out of curiosity, can I set the gopro to be the only cam and use the app just for timing and data recording since the phone is so shaky? Will it automatically ad the overlay to the gopro footage?
With LapTimer v19, you can manually record with your GoPro, use LapTimer as a plain LapTimer, transfer and align laps and video manually back home, and overlay the GoPro recorded video. When using MultiCam remote controlling, the internal video is always active on top of the external cam.

With LapTimer v20 (Spring 2016 release), it will be possible to record video externally only. There will not be a lot of change on transferring videos from GoPro to smartphone, this is a half automated process. For details, please check Video Documentation on www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
EvolutionX
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by EvolutionX »

Harry wrote:
EvolutionX wrote: Out of curiosity, can I set the gopro to be the only cam and use the app just for timing and data recording since the phone is so shaky? Will it automatically ad the overlay to the gopro footage?
With LapTimer v19, you can manually record with your GoPro, use LapTimer as a plain LapTimer, transfer and align laps and video manually back home, and overlay the GoPro recorded video. When using MultiCam remote controlling, the internal video is always active on top of the external cam.

With LapTimer v20 (Spring 2016 release), it will be possible to record video externally only. There will not be a lot of change on transferring videos from GoPro to smartphone, this is a half automated process. For details, please check Video Documentation on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation

- Harry
Cool thanks. I have done it manually with Dashware and my Qstarz laptimer before just playing around on the street. Is there a trick to keep track of what lap goes with the appropriate data and syncing it? I have done it but it took me forever to get it synced perfectly as well as sometimes I may not record every lap then I have to go back and figure out which laps go where with the data. I was curious if people have some tricks to make syncing easier.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

When using LapTimer GrandPrix with MultiCam / GoPro remote controlling, LapTimer will memorize the relation between laps and videos. So besides turning the external cam on and off, this is the second - and probably bigger benefit when using GP. The only thing you need to take care for when transferring videos from GoPro to smartphone is associating the session video (named Re-Link). This is a comparably easy step to do. Details are available in Video Documentation.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
EvolutionX
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by EvolutionX »

Harry wrote:When using LapTimer GrandPrix with MultiCam / GoPro remote controlling, LapTimer will memorize the relation between laps and videos. So besides turning the external cam on and off, this is the second - and probably bigger benefit when using GP. The only thing you need to take care for when transferring videos from GoPro to smartphone is associating the session video (named Re-Link). This is a comparably easy step to do. Details are available in Video Documentation.

- Harry
Thanks for responding so quick. How do you find the time to work on the app and answer questions here? LOL Can't wait for v20 and I am hoping someday you make an application for the PC so we can import the data to a bigger screen and analyze everything.

Thanks again for all your hard work.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

EvolutionX wrote:
Harry wrote:When using LapTimer GrandPrix with MultiCam / GoPro remote controlling, LapTimer will memorize the relation between laps and videos. So besides turning the external cam on and off, this is the second - and probably bigger benefit when using GP. The only thing you need to take care for when transferring videos from GoPro to smartphone is associating the session video (named Re-Link). This is a comparably easy step to do. Details are available in Video Documentation.

- Harry
Thanks for responding so quick. How do you find the time to work on the app and answer questions here? LOL Can't wait for v20 and I am hoping someday you make an application for the PC so we can import the data to a bigger screen and analyze everything.

Thanks again for all your hard work.
Harry doesn't do Windows. There have been rumors about a possible Mac application. If you just want a bigger screen, get an iPad. HLT runs on an iPad and you don't even have to buy the app again. It's easy enough to transfer data between iOS devices, although video transfer isn't very fast.