Data recording from XGPS160 to iPhone6

News and updates from the author // Read only
<<tk>>
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Data recording from XGPS160 to iPhone6

Post by <<tk>> »

Dear folks,

I used new XGPS160 from Dual for the track (own track w/o certification) and drove 3 LAPS with it connected via BT to my iPhone6 with HLT v19.0.16 (64).

Afterwards I looked on Lap List to the laps there were GPS data from iPhone built-in 1Hz GPS sensor. ...

Do you have any idea why HLP did not use data from XGPS160 ?

Thank you.

tk
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Data recording from XGPS160 to iPhone6

Post by Harry »

Make sure you have the XGPS paired with your iPhone and BT on. Furthermore, please do not turn off accessories in Expert Settings (just to be complete, you have likely not changed that). Then, verify you get the XGPS show up in Sensor List with an update rate of 10 Hz. In case it doesn't show up as connected, power cycle the XGPS or send LapTimer to background, wait 5 seconds and pull it forward again.
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

You don't have to go to sensor list. In timer mode, touch the top bar to bring up the info overlay. If it doesn't say XGPS as the GPS source, then try the tricks Harry listed. Sometimes you even have to forget the device and pair it again.
<<tk>>
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by <<tk>> »

Harry wrote:Make sure you have the XGPS paired with your iPhone and BT on. Furthermore, please do not turn off accessories in Expert Settings (just to be complete, you have likely not changed that). Then, verify you get the XGPS show up in Sensor List with an update rate of 10 Hz. In case it doesn't show up as connected, power cycle the XGPS or send LapTimer to background, wait 5 seconds and pull it forward again.

Thank you Harry,

the thing is, the XGPS160 is paired even on iOS level, Use Accesories in expert settings is turne on (and was not changed enything in these settings), and device was repaired and HL was resterted. So let me do it all again and will see if problem is still alive.

tk
glospete
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by glospete »

I find the XGPS160 quite flaky in operation - sometimes it is connected to my device and then it disconnects for no obvious reason, and then getting it paired again can be a struggle. Also (and Dual knows of this) this device will never do data logging. It appears to be recording but when you connect to the iPhone to upload the data it just aborts. I've been in contact with Dual but they basically agree it mostly doesn't work and just shrug their shoulders. Not a recommended item in my book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

XGPS160 data logging is, IMO, largely useless even if it did work. It logs at 1Hz, not 10 and it logs in kml format. That's fine if you're going to plot a trip in Google Earth. But it's not particularly helpful for anything else. Connection issues are as much or more the fault of the operating system and hardware as the Bluetooth device.

If you don't recommend the XGPS160, what do you recommend?
glospete
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by glospete »

As I have purchased it I use the XGPS160 as best I can for GPS signal to my iPad in the car. But for data logging for tracking the locations where I took photos I use my iPhone 6 and an app (GeoTag Pro).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk