New LapTimer Road Map

News and updates from the author // Read only
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

New LapTimer Road Map

Post by Harry »

Hi everybody,

There were several re-prioritizations of LapTimer development, projects, and other activities this year. As a result, you have seen quite some new features during 2014 not planed at the beginning of the year, but a constant deferral of the next major release for iOS and Android too. The list below is the latest and revised roadmap into 2015. There are other activities and apps planed which are not listed, but they are not public so far.
  • The next LapTimer major release will appear in early Spring 2015. It will include
    • LapTimer GrandPrix for Android
    • support for additional external cams
    • a completely reworked navigation scheme replacing the tab bar in iOS and the options menu in Android.
  • All versions of LapTimer and other Harry's apps showing a version number 18.4 or later will be optimized for iOS7 and iOS8.
  • iOS5.1 and 6.1 will be supported for a limited time with bug fix releases showing a version number "18.3.x".
  • iOS5/5 support will be dropped once 18.4 or later appears
Supporting four major iOS versions (5 to 8) has become too cumbersome and labor intensive. Apple constantly revises the iOS programming model. Opposed to Google Android, interfaces are constantly replaced. Developers are forced to modernize their apps. This is good as it keeps the app IT architecture modern, but requires deprecation of old versions too. I have limited insights in what happens with Android 5.0 Lollipop, but I will tend to lift OS requirements in case it eases development for this platform too.

This is in line with my upmost IT principle, which is not to slow down innovation by keeping too much legacy - and always think in new options and value. Transparency on development plans, priorities, and thoughts on features in the future is part of our philosophy. I hope you agree and enjoy it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Sc0rian
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: New LapTimer Road Map

Post by Sc0rian »

will the android version be getting GoPro overlay support like the iOS version?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sc0rian wrote:will the android version be getting GoPro overlay support like the iOS version?
Yes. I hope I will be able to even move it from its current "experimental state" to a GoPro supported app for this upcoming version.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Sc0rian
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Sc0rian »

Harry wrote:
Sc0rian wrote:will the android version be getting GoPro overlay support like the iOS version?
Yes. I hope I will be able to even move it from its current "experimental state" to a GoPro supported app for this upcoming version.

- Harry
Ah great, thanks for the reply Harry.

What is the upcoming release and do you have a date?

Thanks again for a great app

Ben
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sc0rian wrote: What is the upcoming release and do you have a date?
Harry wrote:The next LapTimer major release will appear in early Spring 2015. It will include LapTimer GrandPrix for Android
- Harry
Image Image Image Image