Starting with version 18.3.5, LapTimer features experimental support for parallel OBD requests speeding up update rates by 50 to 150%. For this first version, I have decided to give it an "experimental" status. It is turned off by default. There are a number of pre-requisits to use this mode:
- You need to run the top level LapTimer edition for your platform (Petrolhead for Android and GrandPrix for iOS)
- The car needs to feature a modern CAN based bus protocol
- An ELM327 based OBD dongle is required; I tested both PLX Kiwi and OBDLink LX/MX dongles and all worked
To run the new mode, you need to turn it on in LapTimer's Expert Settings:
- LapTimer ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ OBD Tweaks / CAN Multi Requests (ELM327) ‣ 3 PIDs / adaptive
Once this is switched and your configuration meets all the above requirements, you should see immediately the effect in update rate. Check e.g. the Sensor List for a display. In case it works for you, please let us know what you had before and what you get with the feature turned on. In case it doesn't work, please report back too. Please always add the smartphone model, OBD dongle model, and car tested.
Once I get enough positive feedback, this feature will be turned on by default and simplified.
For our tests, please check Facebook post #1 and Facebook post #2 As an example, the update rate for a Porsche 997/2 increases from 11 to 17 Hz using an OBDLink MX Wi-Fi dongle.
The Android version 18.3.5 will be available on Playstore in an hour, the iOS version will follow in roughly one week.
Code: Select all
Changes in v18.3.5:
‣ Several tweaks to sensor handling (VBOX, OBDLinkMX, OBD speed)
‣ Added a small range for neutral winning/losing indicator
‣ Remove "Record Auto" and stop recording when Video View is closed
‣ Bandwidth optimization for ELM327 OBD communication
‣ Made Add-ons View snappy again
‣ Fixed longitudinal / lateral acceleration order in VBO export
‣ Improved Technical Information dialog
‣ Added support for parallel CAN requests (check http://goo.gl/R8A5v3 for the details)