Known problems with iOS8 transition

News and updates from the author // Read only
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Known problems with iOS8 transition

Post by bulls23 »

BT1 isn't ELM327 based as far as I know so it won't profit the way the ELM327 based adapters do.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, for the BT1 some parallel access is included since 2012/13 (in GP). It is slower than WiFi dongles but far more convenient...

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

So would it work with the Kiwi plx wifi?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

gplracerx wrote:So would it work with the Kiwi plx wifi?
Yes, in my test environment - which generated 10,4 Hz so far - I got 16,0 Hz when applying the new code.
The devices tested are OBDLink MX BT (Android), OBDLink MX WiFi (iOS) and the old PLX Kiwi WiFi 1 (iOS).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Using the KiWi PLX version 1 on a 2011 Ford Mustang GT, the OBD rate increased from 5-6Hz with CAN multi-requests inactive to 8-9Hz using either the 2 or 3 PID's/adaptive settings on an iPhone 4s running iOS 7.1.2. That's a pretty good rate increase. I haven't tried the /minimum settings.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

gplracerx wrote:Using the KiWi PLX version 1 on a 2011 Ford Mustang GT, the OBD rate increased from 5-6Hz with CAN multi-requests inactive to 8-9Hz using either the 2 or 3 PID's/adaptive settings on an iPhone 4s running iOS 7.1.2. That's a pretty good rate increase. I haven't tried the /minimum settings.
Thanks for the feedback. The minimum (and the 2 in parallel) are for testing only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Any word on whether 8.1.0 fixed the BT connection issue? Did it break something else important?
Nugget69
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Nugget69 »

Harry wrote:Issues introduced by iOS8 are fixed as far as it is possible on app level. There will be another bug fix release shortly, but this one is more on problems I have added :-)

But: there are reports there are intermittent issues with BT connections (again). Both GoPoint and Racelogic reported on this for their BT1 and VBOX Sport. I had only one report on connection issues with a BT1 and a XGPS160 this week. This is actually not an indication the reported issues appear often. I expect Apple to release 8.1 in October, so you may want to wait nevertheless.

Harry
Hi Harry,
Thanks for the help on my last issue, I managed to get all my lap data transfered across.

Now I am experiencing the BT connection issue. My XGPS150 looks like it is connected to the phone and works in other apps but won't work in Harry's Lap Timer. If I click on the icon up the top to get the system status the "gps update rate" stays red. I have had to do a couple of events just using the iphone GPS. I just updated to ios8.1 and the issue persists.
Is this a ios problem?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In situations like this, please always power cycle the XGPS and send LapTimer to background and pull it to foreground again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The 8-9 Hz with the Kiwi wasn't stable at an actual event. I had rates all over the map. In one case I was seeing 40Hz, but no actual data. Killing the app and restarting fixed that. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to create a log at the event. I'll see if I can duplicate the problem when I'm not under time pressure and create a log file. But it's going to be a week or more before I'll have the time.