Known problems with iOS8 transition

News and updates from the author // Read only
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Known problems with iOS8 transition

Post by Harry »

Both video and rotation issues are fixed already. I need to work on some display issues introduced by the new screen layout routines (iPhone 6). I still plan to submit it to Apple tomorrow.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Looks like your hard work paid off, update is in the App store already and for me the above problems are gone, well done! Video recording works fine, rotating without crashing, all menus and pop-ups are accessible and my first connection to the VBOX with the iPhone 6 worked immediately :D
I hadn't checked the actual recording on the Multicam last time...and in fact there wasn't any, just the mentioned 00:00 entry, but then the App dates back to iOS6 if I'm correct.
One thing about the new auto focus / video stabilization: Are these simply linked to the "old" buttons and are triggered differently according to the device HLT is used on?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

When setting Video Stabilization is turned on, LapTimer sets iPhone6 to Cinematic Stabilization while it sets all other iPhones to Standard Stabilization. The old version set all phones to standard stabilization.

I have not tested the feature yet. The docs say Cinematic stabilization adds an additional delay between reality and recording (which makes sense). So probably it will be necessary to increase the Overlay Synchronization delay for iPhone6 devices... Up to testing...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Status update on iOS8 transition:

Apple approved LapTimer versions 18.3.3 quickly, so all of the above mentioned issues are fixed. Please update to 18.3.3 now.

But there are (certainly) new ones I collect here. I will submit another bugfix release soon. As long as the issues are not critical, this bugfix release will go through a standard process, i.e. will not be available before end of September:
  • Displaying the Add-ons list is slow Workaround: none; will be fixed in 18.3.4: 10 times faster
  • When pulling LapTimer forward (after it has been suspended and the device has been sent to sleep), it quickly grows in memory and gets killed latest after having requested 650 MB of main memory in iOS8. Workaround: restart LapTimer; needs to be fixed in iOS8 but found a work around for 18.3.4 with the help of an Apple IT architect
  • Background images (checkered blurred flag) require huge amounts of memory for iPhone6 Plus devices. Workaround: mostly not necessary; will be "fixed" in 18.3.4: added memory optimization to remove images not shown currently
  • All picker views hide the navigation bar and make it impossible to return to the parent dialog. Picker views are mainly used in vehicle configuration. This item is most probably not iOS8 specific, but a general bug introduced lately. Workaround: export vehicle details to .hvehl, edit that file with a plain text editor, import the changed file by pressing the attachment in Mail; will be fixed in 18.3.4
  • Path smoothing and acceleration recalculation crash on iPads. Will be fixed in 18.3.4
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

All picker views hide the navigation bar and make it impossible to return to the parent dialog. Picker views are mainly used in vehicle configuration. This item is most probably not iOS8 specific but a general bug introduced lately.
Yes. In fact, in 18.3.3. It was OK until I updated to the most recent version today.

Picker views are critical in POI's. With this broken, you can't set a direction or change the GPS coordinates of a POI. Dragging it on the map is not a suitable workaround if you need to make a fine adjustment.

iPhone 4s, iOS 7.1.2
lmcgrew79
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by lmcgrew79 »

Video is now working, thanks harry.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O.k. I have fixed or worked around all known problems (see update above) no. I will submit 18.3.4 in an hour. Please do not expect the update to appear on the store this weekend, it will go through the regular approval process this time as the problems does not make the app "unusable" as the initial iOS8 issues.

Here are the changes you can expect in 18.3.4:

Code: Select all

Changes in v18.3.4

- Improved memory management for background images (iPhone6/6+)
- Made Add-ons View snappy again (factor 10)
- Fixed missing navigation bar / back buttons in vehicle details
- Fixed longitudinal / lateral acceleration order in VBO export
- Fixed crashes after pulling the app to foreground after the device has been sent to sleep
- Further iOS8 optimizations
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dsaylors
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by dsaylors »

How do I get the app to register for Camera access? When I look in the Settings->Privacy->Camera section, the app does not show.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

dsaylors wrote:How do I get the app to register for Camera access? When I look in the Settings->Privacy->Camera section, the app does not show.
I assume it is added once you used the camera with LapTimer. The privacy setting is new in iOS8. To get the video in LapTimer, select Timer or another timing view, turn the device to landscape (= camera orientation), and press the Video button. First time you do that, you need to grant LapTimer access to the cam.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
llan981
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by llan981 »

Upgraded to 18.3.3. Have ios8.02. Updating a vehicle in HLT. and all the entries where you scroll such as max torque and max horsepower, there is NOT the ability to close the screen as it must have bleed off the page. You can change the data but cannot close the entry. To much page to render