LapTimer v18.3 New Timer View announcement

News and updates from the author // Read only
User avatar
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8985
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Siegum, Germany
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 378 times
Contact:

LapTimer v18.3 New Timer View announcement

Postby Harry » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:31 pm

Dear friends of LapTimer,

I'm just uploading all LapTimer editions and GPS/OBD Buddy version 18.3 for iOS to Apple. To provide you with new functionality early, I have decided to release major versions (next one will be 19.0) once a year only in the future. Instead, I will regularly update the app using minor releases (like 18.3). The biggest change in 18.3 is the introduction of LapTimer's new and fancy Timer View. For the 2014 season, I have LapTimer v18.4/5 scheduled while v19.0 will be the 2015 Spring release.

Please visit the gallery of snapshots and extensive comments on the new Timer View.

Code: Select all

LapTimer v18.3 for iOS Rookie/Petrolhead/GrandPrix

New functions:
‣ Completely reworked and much improved Timer View
‣ Lap # display can be toggled between Session and Day
‣ Added Zoom option to Timer View
‣ Lap/Gap/Sector/Zoom selections are memorized
‣ Added calculation for remaining laps (fuel level based)
‣ Simplified reference lap handling and naming
‣ Added winning/losing indicator to predictive lap timing
‣ Replaced Classic and Racer's by Timer View [Rookie]
‣ Added Push Notifications [Buddy]
‣ Revised view navigation animations
‣ Many further changes and improvements

Fixes:
‣ Fixed VBOX Sport initialization issue
‣ Minor fix to update counters
‣ Added a work around for .VBO line end conversion
‣ Minor fix in database recovery
‣ Some fixes to localizations
‣ Fixed automatic lean angle calculation during overlay
‣ Fixed double split recognition
‣ Fixed some skinning issues
‣ Fixed a crash in OBD vehicle selection [iPad]

Please expect version 18.3 on AppStore in approximately 5 days. LapTimer 18.3 editions for Android are planned for the same time.

Thanks for your feedback and please share this post with other users.

- Harry


Image Image Image Image
rscliofan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: LapTimer v18.3 New Timer View announcement

Postby rscliofan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:35 pm

Nice one yet again Harry, I don't know of any other app developer that creates such custom features.


llan981
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: LapTimer v18.3 New Timer View announcement

Postby llan981 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:05 pm

Every month during summer and autumn I do a track event and every event it seems I am learning new features. You are the best.


User avatar
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8985
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Siegum, Germany
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 378 times
Contact:

Re: LapTimer v18.3 New Timer View announcement

Postby Harry » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:19 pm

Dear LapTimer for Android users,

I just uploaded LapTimer Rookie and Petrolhead version 18.3.1 to Google's Play Store. This free upgrade will be available in latest 2 hours on all stores world wide. The new version comes with a bunch of new features and bug fixes. Besides the new Timer View (see initial post), this version is the first Android version supporting (almost) complete landscape and portrait orientations. Please note this addition requires you to confirm a acceleration calibration reset once you have rotated and mounted your smartphone.

Please find the full list of changes below:

Code: Select all

New functions:
‣ Completely reworked and much improved Timer View
‣ Lap # display can be toggled between Session and Day
‣ Added Zoom option to Timer View
‣ Lap/Gap/Sector/Zoom selections are memorized
‣ Added calculation for remaining laps (fuel level based)
‣ Portrait support for Timer, GPS, About, Guide Views
‣ Simplified reference lap handling and naming
‣ Added winning/losing indicator to predictive lap timing
‣ Many further changes and improvements

Fixes:
‣ Fixed automatic lean angle calculation during overlay
‣ Fixed double split recognition
‣ Fixed missing inserts for overlays
‣ Added missing map type selector
‣ Made video selection case in-sensitive
‣ Added a work around for .VBO line end conversion
‣ Fixed UTC/system time synchronization
‣ Fixed Dropbox integration
‣ Fixed vehicle picture selection

I hope you like it. Please report any issues you run into to Harry@gps-laptimer.de - in particular for the new Timer View.

Thanks for your continued support and please recommend us to your friends.

- Harry


Image Image Image Image
User avatar
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★
Posts: 755
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:22 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: LapTimer v18.3 New Timer View announcement

Postby bulls23 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:12 am

Really like the winning/losing display, have to use it some more though.
Also I'm friends again with my VBOX :D Connection problems really seem to be gone, switching configurations working fine so far.
I also noticed the way screens pop up now and I think I prefer it that way. I just think the left over arrows are somewhat misleading and could be removed as well (e.g. in the lap list and in the back button, there it could be replaced by "x" or "x close").


User avatar
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8985
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Siegum, Germany
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 378 times
Contact:

Re: LapTimer v18.3 New Timer View announcement

Postby Harry » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:20 am

bulls23 wrote:I also noticed the way screens pop up now and I think I prefer it that way. I just think the left over arrows are somewhat misleading and could be removed as well (e.g. in the lap list and in the back button, there it could be replaced by "x" or "x close").


Yes, Apple's overall style is sideway drill down and return...

- Harry


Image Image Image Image
User avatar
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★
Posts: 755
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:22 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: LapTimer v18.3 New Timer View announcement

Postby bulls23 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:45 am

First time on track using the new timer view in zoom mode and really liked it. Combined with the new bar it's the perfect setup to quickly see how you're doing...even managed to set a new personal best time, shaving off 4 sec...that was only possible with the new view I guess :lol: ;)
Just one thing. I was using it in landscape view and being on the Nordschleife, depending on the traffic or yellow flags your lap times can easily vary more than 9 sec. Once you're over the difference of 9 sec the view changes from 3 to 6 digits (if I remember correctly) with leading zeros, making the digits quite smaller. Any way of making it more responsive / adaptive in smaller steps?


User avatar
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8985
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Siegum, Germany
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 378 times
Contact:

Re: LapTimer v18.3 New Timer View announcement

Postby Harry » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:51 am

bulls23 wrote:First time on track using the new timer view in zoom mode and really liked it. Combined with the new bar it's the perfect setup to quickly see how you're doing...even managed to set a new personal best time, shaving off 4 sec...that was only possible with the new view I guess :lol: ;)
Just one thing. I was using it in landscape view and being on the Nordschleife, depending on the traffic or yellow flags your lap times can easily vary more than 9 sec. Once you're over the difference of 9 sec the view changes from 3 to 6 digits (if I remember correctly) with leading zeros, making the digits quite smaller. Any way of making it more responsive / adaptive in smaller steps?


Thanks for the feedback!

On the digits, yes, LapTimer's framework allows to define a prefix that is removed when it is found. It is currently set to "00:0" for gap displays and makes "00:04.34" a "4.34". I'd need to enhance the framework to accept a set of removable prefixed, in this case "0", "00:", "00:0"...

- Harry


Image Image Image Image
Btwyx 
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: LapTimer v18.3 New Timer View announcement

Postby Btwyx  » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:30 pm

I'm a little late to this as I've only just updated to iOS8 (from 6), so only just got the new Lap Timer.

Some of the changes have much improved the timer view, some of them have lost features I used to use.

The good change is that the lap time is more visible (I also upgraded to an iPhone 6, so that may help). I can now read the last lap time while I'm busy driving the car. This is good. It doesn't flash any more which helps, it also doesn't seem to turn red for a good lap which helps.

The big problem is its removed the engine/OBD data which used to populate the bottom. This now seems to inhabit the racer's view screen, which I never used to use. The bit I used most was the selectable field which would show one of the ODB parameters, I'd use that to gauge my fuel level, or throttle % if I was in the passenger seat coaching the driver.

I have not much use for the gap display, the time is the main thing (which is good now), I just wish I could get the engine parameters back.


User avatar
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8985
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Siegum, Germany
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 378 times
Contact:

Re: LapTimer v18.3 New Timer View announcement

Postby Harry » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:29 am

Btwyx  wrote:I'm a little late to this as I've only just updated to iOS8 (from 6), so only just got the new Lap Timer.

Some of the changes have much improved the timer view, some of them have lost features I used to use.

The good change is that the lap time is more visible (I also upgraded to an iPhone 6, so that may help). I can now read the last lap time while I'm busy driving the car. This is good. It doesn't flash any more which helps, it also doesn't seem to turn red for a good lap which helps.

The big problem is its removed the engine/OBD data which used to populate the bottom. This now seems to inhabit the racer's view screen, which I never used to use. The bit I used most was the selectable field which would show one of the ODB parameters, I'd use that to gauge my fuel level, or throttle % if I was in the passenger seat coaching the driver.

I have not much use for the gap display, the time is the main thing (which is good now), I just wish I could get the engine parameters back.


Fuel level should actually be replaced by the remaining laps display (in Timer) which checks the current level against typical consumption on your current track. This field requires several laps recorded with OBD to work and will stay empty in the beginning. The switchable OBD fields are available in GPS View as long as the new Engine View is not available. The later will give you all information you need. Check the preview on https://www.facebook.com/HarrysLapTimer ... =1&theater for a first impression.

- Harry


Image Image Image Image

Return to “Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest