LapTimer (Rookie, Petrolhead, GP) v17.5 announcement

News and updates from the author // Read only
escottc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: LapTimer (Rookie, Petrolhead, GP) v17.5 announcement

Post by escottc »

I assure you I have no other and have had no other Apple account. Therefore I am the same user who purchased HLT:GP. I am, by no means, a Hall of Shame user. Shall I contact you via the email to further research this issue? Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, that's not what I thought :-) And yes, please send an email check what is going on.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Seems like my iPhone downloaded this automatically while I was sleeping, lol.

Question, is "Added background video recording - close video view and record videos while watching Timer views [Petrolhead+GP]" the same as being able to record with GoPro as primary? I know that feature was going to be released eventually... =)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer v17.5 just adds background recording (which actually means you do not need to have the Video View active to record videos). Both the features to record GoPro only, or set it as master automatically are not yet included. Both features should be considered convenience functions. Set internal video recording to a low resolution and run LapTimer using background recording + MultiCam to get your GoPro video and watch a racing view while driving (Timer et al). Once recorded, just delete the (small) internal video from the lap's details and the GoPro video will be the master automatically. In case you want to switch Master / PiP roles, just press Edit in Lap Details, and drag the GoPro video up to the Master position.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Harry wrote:LapTimer v17.5 just adds background recording (which actually means you do not need to have the Video View active to record videos). Both the features to record GoPro only, or set it as master automatically are not yet included. Both features should be considered convenience functions. Set internal video recording to a low resolution and run LapTimer using background recording + MultiCam to get your GoPro video and watch a racing view while driving (Timer et al). Once recorded, just delete the (small) internal video from the lap's details and the GoPro video will be the master automatically. In case you want to switch Master / PiP roles, just press Edit in Lap Details, and drag the GoPro video up to the Master position.

- Harry
Thanks Harry, unfortunately my PC has issues copying videos from GoPro -> PC -> iPhone. Thus I was hoping with GoPro latest update where you can access videos directly from iPhone photo album, I could overlay data and video directly on iPhone without having to go through file transfer process.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You should be able to do it just like this. I have not tested it myself, but once you have transferred GoPro footage from the GoPro to the iPhone using their app, you can re-link these videos in LapTimer. I just updated the video documentation to introduce the new "re-linking feature":
I have just updated LapTimer's Video Documentation to reflect the latest changes introduced in LapTimer v17.5. The document version is 1.3 now.

‣ Background Video Recording (search for the term, it is a new section named like this)
‣ Manually re-link GoPro videos (alternative to using the MultiCam ID, check the last part of the existing section "Experimental Support for GoPro HERO")

http://www.gps-laptimer.com/LapTimerDoc ... hapter.pdf
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Harry wrote:You should be able to do it just like this. I have not tested it myself, but once you have transferred GoPro footage from the GoPro to the iPhone using their app, you can re-link these videos in LapTimer. I just updated the video documentation to introduce the new "re-linking feature":
I have just updated LapTimer's Video Documentation to reflect the latest changes introduced in LapTimer v17.5. The document version is 1.3 now.

‣ Background Video Recording (search for the term, it is a new section named like this)
‣ Manually re-link GoPro videos (alternative to using the MultiCam ID, check the last part of the existing section "Experimental Support for GoPro HERO")

http://www.gps-laptimer.com/LapTimerDoc ... hapter.pdf
- Harry
Thanks Harry, this is great news. So by relinking with this method, will overlay be "automatic" meaning will HLT know which lap corresponds exactly to which frame on video or do we need to manually overlay like older version of HLT when using external videos?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The MultiCam benefits will still be there. Every lap recorded with MultiCam enabled has both a link to a video (LapTimer recordings, MultiCam ID, Photo library link) AND a sync point. Only the former is replaced by re-linking a video, the sync point is unchanged and allows automatic synced overlays.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The Android version (LapTimer Rookie) is available on Google's PlayStore too now. Due to a late bugfix, it comes with version number 17.5.2. It is on the same functional level like the iOS Rookie (except user interface differences). Link to PlayStore

Now that all 17.5 version are online, I start "wintertime" work on:
  • Version 18 for both iOS and Android including LapTimer Petrolhead for Android - due in March 2014
  • Refresh for Harry's GPS/OBD Buddy - sometimes in November
  • LapTimer server improvements (better team support, telemetry additions) - due in March 2014
  • A new app (secret)
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Good news is I got this to work, transferred videos from gopro to album without using PC. Bad news is upon overlaying one lap, it caused my phone to freeze. Had to restart but the video was successfully saved. But the weird thing is the overlaid data doesn't look right. The only thing I can think of is gopro gives you option to transfer video as low quality (200mb vs 2gb) and I chose low. Had I chosen high quality would the overlaid data look normal?