Dual XGPS160 10Hz support

News and updates from the author // Read only
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dual XGPS160 10Hz support

Post by Harry »

Dear Friends of LapTimer,

I finally had the opportunity to check the new Dual XGPS160 myself. I paired it with my iPhone5 (running iOS7), turned it on, and started LapTimer. I got 10 Hz update rate almost immediately - sitting in my office. Besides 10 Hz support, this means the 160 shows by far better sensitivity for weak signals and has been able to lock pretty fast. For comparison, my XGPS150 does not lock in my office at all (and delivers 5 Hz).

The Dual XGPS160 is adding a really attractive high end 10 Hz GPS option for LapTimer users. Although the device is a little more expensive than other GPSes, it deserves this premium as it is Apple certified (Made for iPhone) and delivers 10 Hz for both Apple and Android devices. Furthermore it is a very solid product with a great finish. Like the XGPS150, it comes with an ultra sticky rubber plate for your dashboard.

NB: Early tests with iOS7 show a minor flaw I will fix with Dual soon: the XGP160 needs to be turned on and connected when LapTimer is started / restarted. In case you have issues getting LapTimer and the XGPS160 connected, please just exit LapTimer, make sure the XGPS160 is connected to the iPhone, and start LapTimer again. This problem does not occur in an iOS7 / XGPS150 combination.

Hope you will enjoy. For all LapTimer users looking for a GPS with best value for money AND high update rates, I recommend the XGPS160. I have added links to order from Europe or directly from Dual on LapTimer's iOS Compatibility and Android Compatibility pages.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
naked_dave1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Dual XGPS160 10Hz support

Post by naked_dave1 »

I got the Dual XGPS160 a few days after it came out. Worked beautifully with your app!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSddG8V68g8[/youtube]
2012 Subaru WRX Premium 5-Door
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

naked_dave1 wrote:I got the Dual XGPS160 a few days after it came out. Worked beautifully with your app!

Is your OBD device connected via Bluetooth as well?
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

naked_dave1 wrote:I got the Dual XGPS160 a few days after it came out. Worked beautifully with your app!

Aren't the revs somewhat curious? They behave a little bit like the boost and I supose it can't be wheelspin for the awd subaru.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXcZ8kPTjp8[/youtube]

The data was obtained with an XGPS160 and a GoPoint BT1, i.e. both Bluetooth, with HLT Grand Prix running on an iPhone 4. The video was a GoPro Hero1 shot at highest definition and converted to iPhone format with VideoReDo. It's not me driving. Mark is about 3 seconds faster than I am on this course. I should put up the graph of altitude from 9 runs. After subtracting the average altitude of each run, the plots are almost on top of each other. And the maximum altitude difference is less than 35 feet. More satellites make a difference. I did have to change the OBD offset to 0.5 seconds to get the GPS and OBD speeds to match when there wasn't wheel spin.

The car is a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 in SCCA Solo F Stock trim. That's Dunlop Direzza ZII 275/35/19 tires on the stock 19x8.5 rims 48/40 psi F/R, Koni Yellow shocks, a Stranoparts adjustable rear sway bar set full soft and Ford crash bolts on the front suspension to give -1.8 degrees camber.
naked_dave1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by naked_dave1 »

tulloch wrote:Is your OBD device connected via Bluetooth as well?
No, it's connected via WiFi.
bulls23 wrote:Aren't the revs somewhat curious? They behave a little bit like the boost and I supose it can't be wheelspin for the awd subaru.
Now that you mentioned it, I guess I didn't notice how jerky it was.
2012 Subaru WRX Premium 5-Door
Evolutiondemon
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Evolutiondemon »

Hello, I recently bought a XGPS160 to use on autox days. While testing prior to an event I noticed that the GPS accuracy changes from around 5-6ft to 9ft approximately every 2 seconds. It does not do this when using my iPhone 5's internal GPS running iOS 6.1.2. It also does this on my iPad mini running 7.0.2. Upgrading the firmware on the 160 to 1.2.0 didn't change anything either. Is this normal because the the quick update rate on the 160 or do I have a faulty unit?

Thanks,
-Jerome
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Accuracies shown for the internal and external GPSes do not come from the same source. While it is not transparent how Apple calculated this values (and probably filters) from the original HDOP value delivered, LapTimer derives accuracy from HDOP itself (without filtering anything). I'd not be too sensible to this changes.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
38F/62R
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by 38F/62R »

Harry wrote:Dear Friends of LapTimer,

I finally had the opportunity to check the new Dual XGPS160 myself. I paired it with my iPhone5 (running iOS7), turned it on, and started LapTimer. I got 10 Hz update rate almost immediately - sitting in my office. Besides 10 Hz support, this means the 160 shows by far better sensitivity for weak signals and has been able to lock pretty fast. For comparison, my XGPS150 does not lock in my office at all (and delivers 5 Hz).

The Dual XGPS160 is adding a really attractive high end 10 Hz GPS option for LapTimer users. Although the device is a little more expensive than other GPSes, it deserves this premium as it is Apple certified (Made for iPhone) and delivers 10 Hz for both Apple and Android devices. Furthermore it is a very solid product with a great finish. Like the XGPS150, it comes with an ultra sticky rubber plate for your dashboard.

NB: Early tests with iOS7 show a minor flaw I will fix with Dual soon: the XGP160 needs to be turned on and connected when LapTimer is started / restarted. In case you have issues getting LapTimer and the XGPS160 connected, please just exit LapTimer, make sure the XGPS160 is connected to the iPhone, and start LapTimer again. This problem does not occur in an iOS7 / XGPS150 combination.

Hope you will enjoy. For all LapTimer users looking for a GPS with best value for money AND high update rates, I recommend the XGPS160. I have added links to order from Europe or directly from Dual on LapTimer's iOS Compatibility and Android Compatibility pages.

- Harry
Has the problem of needing to reconnect the XGPS160 every time laptimer is started been fixed yet?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

At least I did not run into it any more lately...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image