LapTimer (Rookie, Petrolhead, GP) iOS v17.4 announcement

News and updates from the author // Read only
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

LapTimer (Rookie, Petrolhead, GP) iOS v17.4 announcement

Post by Harry »

Dear Friends of LapTimer,

Apple announced iOS7 availability for the 18th September yesterday. I will submit an iOS7 optimized version of LapTimer (all editions) today. This version will go through review and approval as usual and hopefully hit the stores on "iOS7 day one".

As I wanted to make the iOS7 optimized version available as soon as possible (it is beautiful), but have not finished the planed functionality for 17.5 yet, I have added the above intermediate release 17.4. This release comes with the following features:
  • Complete user interface update to iOS7
  • Both black and high contrast skins supported for all views now
  • Performance tuning in many areas
  • Many usability improvements (more will follow in 17.5)
  • Full track split recalculation
  • Housekeeping for database backups (use Check Data)
  • Simplified LT by removed Easy Mode and alternative Field Indicators
  • Several minor bug fixes and improvements
As announced already, LapTimer v17.5 has been planed to focus on iOS7 compatibility, video background recording, and usability improvements. Video background recording is missing in 17.4, and a lot of additional usability will be added too. Version 17.5 is planed for end of September.

But 17.4 comes with great new usablility features already. To name some:
  • you will see editing actions on vehicles, laps, POIs will be very convenient compared to older version: defaults are set, changes in one place are reflected elsewhere immediately
  • besides bad GPS reception, the most frequent reason for issues are triggers set accidentally; v17.4 has a huge number of checks added and will raise warnings and confirmation in many places; adding a POI is pretty smart now: if adding a POI to a track set missing a stop trigger - this will be the initialization; in case you have entered a split time, the next POI added will be one too - added to the current track set already
  • both the Lap List and the Add-on List (formerly Tracks) use a "lighter" design and add space for items; for track sets, additional space will be used to show configuration information and defined driving directions (sample)
A final word on the "Housekeeping for database backups": in case LapTimer discovers problems in data, it creates a backup of the last valid status - to allow a later recovery. So far, these recovery backups could not be removed without using some developer tools. In LapTimer v17.4, running the "Check Data" function from Lap List will add recovery database housekeeping: in case you LapTimer finds more than 3 backups, it will offer to purge these old backups. Use with care, but try that feature - it will probably free up quite some space (more than 500 MB for me).

Hope you will enjoy 17.4 and its fresh look!

- Harry

P.S. At least for all v17.x versions, LapTimer supports all iPhones running iOS5.1 and above. I recommend to always use the latest iOS version available.
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LapTimer (Rookie, Petrolhead, GP) iOS v17.4 announcement

Post by Harry »

Update: v17.4 has been approved by Apple already. I will release it in the moment iOS7 becomes available on AppStore. :-D

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
rscliofan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rscliofan »

Brilliant work Harry.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Can't wait for the new look and feel...I'm even going to sacrifice my Jailbreak for that ;) Just one more day :D
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

bulls23 wrote:Can't wait for the new look and feel...I'm even going to sacrifice my Jailbreak for that ;) Just one more day :D
Yes, it is beautiful (although I find an icon every day I need to make lighter - it will take me up to v18 or 19 to get that process finished...). Besides the front end, the speed improvement in 17.4 is most noticeable. I worked on this a lot - performance is the beginning of all positive using perception. ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I just submitted the most probably last LapTimer 17.4 bug fix release to AppStore for approval. The changes include some fixes to errors reported:

‣ Fixed an intermittent crash in diagrams
‣ Fixed crash in Yaw rate diagrams
‣ Removed Track and Vehicle information from Settings
‣ Fixed double deletion confirmation for videos
‣ Fixed delete lap using swipe actions in Lap List
‣ Changed approach to identify devices

I plan to have LapTimer v17.5 available for both iOS and Android in 10 days. Version 17.5 will come with an additional new set of features that would easily justifying a major release version increase, so stay tuned!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
nismo09
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by nismo09 »

Harry,

I currently have version 17.4.3 on my iPhone. I can't load any tracks. Suggestions?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I need some more details please. In case you do not see tracks in "Add-Ons", press the refresh button and select "Update". In case you see tracks but cannot load them, please let me know what error you get exactly.

The tracks list is online and available, issues are typically due to Internet connection issues.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
nismo09
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by nismo09 »

Harry wrote:I need some more details please. In case you do not see tracks in "Add-Ons", press the refresh button and select "Update". In case you see tracks but cannot load them, please let me know what error you get exactly.

The tracks list is online and available, issues are typically due to Internet connection issues.

- Harry
Harry,

The issues was I could not get any tracks from "load track - select" in Guide or in the add ons menus. It just asked me to search but I could not get any tracks to show up. I just now tried again with the "add-ons" menu and all the tracks magically showed up again so it is now working but was not earlier. Whatever you did - thanks.
nismo09
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by nismo09 »

Harry wrote:I need some more details please. In case you do not see tracks in "Add-Ons", press the refresh button and select "Update". In case you see tracks but cannot load them, please let me know what error you get exactly.

- Harry
BTW - I could not see any tracks. None came up.