Apple announced iOS7 availability for the 18th September yesterday. I will submit an iOS7 optimized version of LapTimer (all editions) today. This version will go through review and approval as usual and hopefully hit the stores on "iOS7 day one".
As I wanted to make the iOS7 optimized version available as soon as possible (it is beautiful), but have not finished the planed functionality for 17.5 yet, I have added the above intermediate release 17.4. This release comes with the following features:
- Complete user interface update to iOS7
- Both black and high contrast skins supported for all views now
- Performance tuning in many areas
- Many usability improvements (more will follow in 17.5)
- Full track split recalculation
- Housekeeping for database backups (use Check Data)
- Simplified LT by removed Easy Mode and alternative Field Indicators
- Several minor bug fixes and improvements
As announced already, LapTimer v17.5 has been planed to focus on iOS7 compatibility, video background recording, and usability improvements. Video background recording is missing in 17.4, and a lot of additional usability will be added too. Version 17.5 is planed for end of September.
But 17.4 comes with great new usablility features already. To name some:
- you will see editing actions on vehicles, laps, POIs will be very convenient compared to older version: defaults are set, changes in one place are reflected elsewhere immediately
- besides bad GPS reception, the most frequent reason for issues are triggers set accidentally; v17.4 has a huge number of checks added and will raise warnings and confirmation in many places; adding a POI is pretty smart now: if adding a POI to a track set missing a stop trigger - this will be the initialization; in case you have entered a split time, the next POI added will be one too - added to the current track set already
- both the Lap List and the Add-on List (formerly Tracks) use a "lighter" design and add space for items; for track sets, additional space will be used to show configuration information and defined driving directions (sample)
A final word on the "Housekeeping for database backups": in case LapTimer discovers problems in data, it creates a backup of the last valid status - to allow a later recovery. So far, these recovery backups could not be removed without using some developer tools. In LapTimer v17.4, running the "Check Data" function from Lap List will add recovery database housekeeping: in case you LapTimer finds more than 3 backups, it will offer to purge these old backups. Use with care, but try that feature - it will probably free up quite some space (more than 500 MB for me).
Hope you will enjoy 17.4 and its fresh look!
P.S. At least for all v17.x versions, LapTimer supports all iPhones running iOS5.1 and above. I recommend to always use the latest iOS version available.