Usability Suggestions for LapTimer v17.5

News and updates from the author // Read only
Srcypher
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Usability Suggestions for LapTimer v17.5

Post by Srcypher »

Lap preview with G-Force colors and speed markers; be able to flip through different laps without exiting the existing lap; too much of a hassle whse comparing laps.
hapnermw
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by hapnermw »

When you expand a chart and attempt to scroll to the beginning it is very easy to over-shoot and go backward one chart.

Moving chart-to-chart using the 'hot' lower chart corners works well. It might be helpful to disable (or have an option to disable) scrolling from chart-to-chart. This would allow scrolling within a chart and leave hot corners for moving chart-to-chart.
hapnermw
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by hapnermw »

Another Multi-Config Track Suggestion ...

It is common in my area to have multiple track configurations and also to run a track in reverse.

Ideally, I would like the ability to 'deactivate' a Track where deactivate means that it will not be used for recording new data. In effect, its triggers will be flagged as 'deactivated'. A deactivated track would be lined-through or otherwise visually flagged in the track list.

To go further, activating a deactivated Track would automatically deactivate all other conflicting tracks.

This would be a great help to us with this issue. Having to deal with this by manually loading/unloading tracks is not a good solution.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

When 'activating' a track set by downloading a configuration, LapTimer analyses all existing tracks and offers to purge those conflicting. As long as you have access to the net, that should be functionally identical to activation/deactivation? I planned to offer this feature versions ago but dropped it as it introduces another concept making thing more complicated (e.g. people forget to activate).

Harry
Image Image Image Image
numgis
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by numgis »

On the iPhone, I find that unless I "Lock Autofocus" when video recording, the video is very shaky as the iPhone hunts for focus... vibrations from high speed makes this much worse. Problem is, every time I enter the video recording I have to remember to press the wrench and select "Lock Autofocus". There have been times I have forgotten, and also times where I swear I did it but still the video is all shaky which makes me think something reset between the time I set it and started driving?

Is there a way to specify to always lock autofocus, perhaps in the settings? Then when entering video mode, if lock autofocus is to be on by default as per settings, perhaps pop up a message asking the user to click to lock autofocus when ready? Also, some type of visual indicator that autofocus is indeed locked would be nice, perhaps where you now show "LoRes" maybe show "AF Lock" underneath?

Being able to change these settings by clicking the wrench is still good for overriding as needed, but we need a way to default them to our liking.

Likely a good idea allow the option for "Video Stabilizer" to be set in settings too so that it defaults to what a user wants? Again some type of icon or text would be nice on the video screen to confirm if this option is enabled or disabled...
revhappy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by revhappy »

Hi Harry,

Many thanks for the wonderful software and it's continuing, robust development!

A quick thought regarding the "activate/deactivate track vs. user complexity" issue. I've the related threads and facebook posts I could find and understand the need for separating triggers by 200m in the scenario you describe in your facebook post.

However I was wondering if it would be possible to allow a single POI to be assigned to be a member of multiple POI sets? This way the burden will fall upon the user to create individual POI sets (i.e. one for one direction (to work) and one for the opposite direction (to home)) while using the same set of 2 start/go POI's without having the need 4 POi's with a minimum separation of 200m. This scenario works within the current need for avoiding the user to remember to activate or deactivate multiple POI sets since the user will have to select only a single POI set as currently implemented while giving the user greater flexibility.

I suppose the other option would be to allow placement of 2 POIs at the same GPS coordinates with directions of triggers defined. (Something that I seem to be unable to do as HLT wants to use the intial POI and not create a second one so close to the original).

My request stems from the fact that my regular weekend spot is a narrow mountain road with turnoff points located within 200m of the first hairpin turn. The 200m requirement forces me to place POI's within turns.

Thanks in advance!
nbJosh
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nbJosh »

I would love a more complete AutoX solution.

I have had good luck with the lap timer at a track for an HPDE, but never good luck with autoX.

perhaps a better workflow for defining a track, and for checking triggers. Also, it would be nice if you could tell the app where your pitting, paddock, and grid for the day, and have a way where the app could let know know where it thinks you are, and what you would like the app to do at these locations. and a good way to suspend the loving for the moment... I.e. Imm taking my phone with me for lunch break, or corner working, but I will be returning to racing later, so keep my pit/paddock & grid settings and locations.

I would LOVE to have a successful workflow for AutoX that would start my multi-cam recording when leaving grid/staging so I have the roll up to the start line, then start the timer when I launch, and stop the timer when I pass the finish, and stop the cams when I enter the grid OR return to my Pit space.

all the while with a clear indication of where the app thinks I am, and a way for me to correct it when it's got it wrong.

As it is now, I define a start trigger, and an end, and that's it... and the app says it will start recording laps when I get to the start, but it never does.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

nbJosh wrote:I would love a more complete AutoX solution.

I have had good luck with the lap timer at a track for an HPDE, but never good luck with autoX.

perhaps a better workflow for defining a track, and for checking triggers. Also, it would be nice if you could tell the app where your pitting, paddock, and grid for the day, and have a way where the app could let know know where it thinks you are, and what you would like the app to do at these locations. and a good way to suspend the loving for the moment... I.e. Imm taking my phone with me for lunch break, or corner working, but I will be returning to racing later, so keep my pit/paddock & grid settings and locations.

I would LOVE to have a successful workflow for AutoX that would start my multi-cam recording when leaving grid/staging so I have the roll up to the start line, then start the timer when I launch, and stop the timer when I pass the finish, and stop the cams when I enter the grid OR return to my Pit space.

all the while with a clear indication of where the app thinks I am, and a way for me to correct it when it's got it wrong.

As it is now, I define a start trigger, and an end, and that's it... and the app says it will start recording laps when I get to the start, but it never does.
Please let us check if we are on the same page using the AX assistant already: once you have set up a AX using the assistant, this "track" is persistent and will be reused once you come back from lunch. Do you have problems finding the "standing go" point again? Maybe you give me a short description how you use the app today and what exactly happens?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
nbJosh
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nbJosh »

So, I start my day by adding a new AutoX course, and walk to the start line,
mark the start
walk directly to the finish
mark the finish.

put my phone away and walk the course as normal. perhaps taking pictures or videos.

after drivers meting, I return to my car and install my phone, launch the app , activate video mode.

the app indicates that recording lap data and video will begin at the start point.

I make several runs. But while the app clearly lists my newly added AutoX course, it also lists 0 laps recorded, and there have been no videos recorded.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The AX assistant creates a so called "standing go" trigger (i.e. no standard go trigger firing when passing a line). For the standing go trigger, you should get a message to position your car to the spot you set the starting point (which is most probably some distance away from your starting line). Once positioned, you need to confirm using the "Staged" button appearing.

In case you positioned the standing go trigger on the start finish line and it is passed (already driving), you need to change the trigger type from "standing go" to "go". For more information on the individual trigger types, please check

http://www.gps-laptimer.com/LapTimerDoc ... iggers.pdf

- Harry
Image Image Image Image