Usability Suggestions for LapTimer v17.5

News and updates from the author // Read only
proximo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Usability Suggestions for LapTimer v17.5

Post by proximo »

Perhaps there's a setting to deal with this but I can't find it. Running the Grand Prix version (17.0.7), every time I move the phone, even when just editing settings, I get a pop up saying "Warning: Calibration has been reset automatically" and I have to press OK to clear the pop up. Since I'm not being prompted to allow or disallow calibration and HLT has already re-calibrated, it would be nice to not have to deal with the pop up *constantly*. In case some might find this a useful feature, it would be nice to have a setting to disable the pop up for those who don't.
2004 E46 M3
iPhone 4s
Dual XGPS150a
GoPoint BT1
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That is actually a dialog I added for debugging. It will be removed in the next bug fix release. It will not show up while driving, but bug you when holding the device in your hands.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

nbJosh wrote:So, I start my day by adding a new AutoX course, and walk to the start line,
mark the start
walk directly to the finish
mark the finish.

put my phone away and walk the course as normal. perhaps taking pictures or videos.

after drivers meting, I return to my car and install my phone, launch the app , activate video mode.

the app indicates that recording lap data and video will begin at the start point.

I make several runs. But while the app clearly lists my newly added AutoX course, it also lists 0 laps recorded, and there have been no videos recorded.
I never trust the data from the wizard for start and stop points. Always check that the locations are accurate by comparing the POI data to the location on the GPS page while holding the phone steady. Also don't put the phone away when you walk the course. In the expert settings you can allow low speed detection of POI's. Set that and walk the course to see if the the timer starts when you cross the starting line and stops when you finish. You can set split points on the GPS page too. You need to associate them with the course and define them as split points. Also, if the course passes anywhere near the finish line, be sure that the timer only stops when you cross the finish line, not while you're on the course. You can set the detection to narrow and the width to the minimum 5 meters to help this. Even then, though, you may have to move the finish POI as far from the course as possible while still close enough to activate when you cross the line.
WilsonSteele
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by WilsonSteele »

I keep wishing for the live driving poi view from the palm days, as every time i go to a track i am not quite sure that things are going to work.
Perhaps the self checking modes will help, but by then its usually too late to fix things, as most us tracks,don't have free internet, and most racers here use ipod touches we bought off ebay.

It was great to be able to create a poi set, and then do the track on a bicycle and,watch the car capture the pois as you drove around them, or do thid in car.

Just some easy way, with one touch from the home screen, to see the car and pois on a live, gps feed map...
SpecMiata #159 '94 1.8L
SoCal NASA, USA
mizuno's nephew
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mizuno's nephew »

2 major suggestions from me:

1. Allow a simple video and overlayed data button. No messing around with tracks etc, as i often like to record video of general driving. Make it a simple single button press to activate video+overlayed obd data.

2. Add obd data overlay to the videopro app.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

mizuno's nephew wrote:2 major suggestions from me:

1. Allow a simple video and overlayed data button. No messing around with tracks etc, as i often like to record video of general driving. Make it a simple single button press to activate video+overlayed obd data.

2. Add obd data overlay to the videopro app.
VideoPro adds OBD data to video overlays in case a compatible OBD dongle has been connected while recording.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
BMWLTW
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by BMWLTW »

Since HLT knows where you are, could the top of the "tracks" list be "nearby" tracks showing the track possibilities at your location. Further, some tracks have multiple configurations and some people don't select the correct track, then upload improbable Hall of Fame times since they are really on the short course, not a long version. Maybe is a POI is never crossed, HLT might suggest you select the proper track.

Use the M7 chip to reduce power consumption?

Favorite app. Great work Harry!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Probably something like this ;-) You can find my position using triangulation :-)

- Harry
Attachments
photo.PNG
photo.PNG (123.33 KiB) Viewed 7138 times
Image Image Image Image