Although I'm pretty busy working on LapTimer Rookie for Android v17.1 currently, plans for the next iOS versions become more concrete. As you may have read in the announcements section, version 17.5 of LapTimer will be reworked to by iOS7 compliant. This is a big task as not only many icons / colors / text need to be reworked, but some new usage patterns want to be adopted too. Besides this, there are two major items that will go into 17.5:
- Video background recording (i.e. it will not be necessary to open the Video View if you want to record video). Furthermore, it will be possible to operate a MultiCam only.
- General improvement of usability.
This is a request for your suggestions to improve LapTimer usability. The (incomplete) list I have collected so far are as follows:
- Creating a vehicle should make this vehicle the current vehicle.
- Loading a track set shoud make this track set the current track.
- Creating a POI should automatically associate it with the current track.
- While viewing a lap's details, it should be possible to swipe to the laps before and after.
- Allow grouping of Lap List by session and track day.
- Changing a lap's vehicle, should change the vehicle for all laps in this session.
- When editing a vehicle's front wheel size, copy to rear if not edited so far.
- Add a health check / checklist on sensor, track set, system status to warn users in case LapTimer is not prepared to go.
[added later from an (otherwise rather unfair) AppStore review]
- Change Track List layout to make configuration visible.
- Memorize overlay configuration.
- In Track List, show tracks around current position
- Improve track deletion - remove empty sections in Lap List automatically, allow lap deletion
- Several other "multi item" operations
- Issue a warning when a trigger is created the first time
- Remove Easy Mode and Field Indicator setting all together - generates more issues than simplification
- Moving the map should unlock the current position
- Improve AX setup to be clear on the difference between starting line and staging area, offer both standing go and go triggers
Not all ideas can be realized in v17.5, but getting the full view now should be a good basis for prioritization. Please let me know what disturbed you when you used LapTimer first (things not intuitive), and what appears impractical in daily use.
Thanks for your proposals!