LapTimer Rookie Android Availability and Requirements

News and updates from the author // Read only
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

LapTimer Rookie Android Availability and Requirements

Post by Harry »

Some information on availability of LapTimer for Android: as announced earlier, a first version will be available by end of Spring. This version will cover approximately the functionality LapTimer Rookie edition for iOS has.

Sensor support is not yet clear, but most likely it will be pretty generic (any Wifi+BT ELM327 OBDs, any NMEA GPS).

Requirements for the Android device will be API level 11 and above, which is Android 3.0 or later. All screen sizes will be supported, but Normal will be optimized best (the typical high end smartphones, not tablets).

Availability will be phased: time limited test versions will start by 1st/2nd week of June. They will be free downloads but will expire within a few weeks. Distribution will go through Google Play, same pricing scheme like iOS.

I plan to work on LapTimer Petrolhead for Android during Summer to have a video enabled version available later this year. No exact schedule on this yet.

Editions will be upgradeable just like they are in iOS.

Hope you like that, please let me know what you think!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
falconire
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: LapTimer Rookie (and beyond) Availability and Requiremen

Post by falconire »

Harry wrote:Some information on availability of LapTimer for Android: as announced earlier, a first version will be available by end of Spring. This version will cover approximately the functionality LapTimer Rookie edition for iOS has.

Sensor support is not yet clear, but most likely it will be pretty generic (any Wifi+BT ELM327 OBDs, any NMEA GPS).

Requirements for the Android device will be API level 11 and above, which is Android 3.0 or later. All screen sizes will be supported, but Normal will be optimized best (the typical high end smartphones, not tablets).

Availability will be phased: time limited test versions will start by 1st/2nd week of June. They will be free downloads but will expire within a few weeks. Distribution will go through Google Play, same pricing scheme like iOS.

I plan to work on LapTimer Petrolhead for Android during Summer to have a video enabled version available later this year. No exact schedule on this yet.

Editions will be upgradeable just like they are in iOS.

Hope you like that, please let me know what you think!

- Harry
Great work so far. I am signing up to Testflight for testing.
terebit
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: LapTimer Rookie Android Availability and Requirements

Post by terebit »

I'm signed up to help Beta test, but still need to buy sensors. I've been looking at the Wiki 2 Bluetooth (OBDII), but was also wondering if the Wiki 2 Wifi will work with a Samsung Galaxy 4 (Android)? I assume Wifi would run faster if it will work. I asked the PLX Devices customer support (via help ticket) but have not received a response.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I do not know this particular wifi sensor but know most do not work with Android. The problem is Android does not support joining adhoc networks (infrastructure networks only). When I found out, I couldn't believe, but that is the odd situation. All wifi OBD sensors I know, use the adhoc mode on the other hand, so BT is the option you want to choose. For the Kiwi Wifi I know it is not recommended for Android because of this.

- Harry

P.S. There are solutions to allow Android to access adhoc network access on rooted devices. But frankly, which racer has time to fiddle around with stuff like that :-)
Image Image Image Image
Joki#104
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Joki#104 »

Hi Harry,

ich bin registriert, aber beim Installieren kommt ein Parsingfehler.

Was kann ich tun?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Joki#104 wrote:Hi Harry,

ich bin registriert, aber beim Installieren kommt ein Parsingfehler.

Was kann ich tun?
Sagt mir nichts... In der Testflight app? Lösche die bitte mal und installiere sie neu.

- Harald
Image Image Image Image