LapTimer (Rookie, Petrolhead, GrandPrix) v17 announcement

News and updates from the author // Read only
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LapTimer (Rookie, Petrolhead, GrandPrix) v17 announcemen

Post by Harry »

There will be a separate post here on the Announcements forum as well as on Facebook.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
toysareforboys
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by toysareforboys »

Harry wrote:There will be a separate post here on the Announcements forum as well as on Facebook.
I liked you on facebook and will keep an eye out, thanks :)

On a side note it turns out I'm doing a track day on tuesday :( As it appears that it was able to record many laps fine AFTER the crash in the video, is there anything I should do to prep my iPod for the new track day?

Thanks again.

-Jamie M.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You have seen v17.0.6 is available?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
toysareforboys
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by toysareforboys »

Harry wrote:You have seen v17.0.6 is available?
I thought I was using .6 ;) lol. I just updated it :)

I ran the check database on my lap list and it doesn't crash anymore! YAY! Thanks Harry :D

Now I just gotta figure out how to overlay my lap stuff, looking at 3rd party solutions :(
GertSterner
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by GertSterner »

Thanks a lot Harry,

it worked. I now use the Grand Prix version.

I found a way to avoid putting data back to the wrong app. First I deleted the Rookie version. Then I made shure, that I was on 2 different screens inside the Petrolhed and Grand Prix versions, so I could know them apart, when the import funktion opened the app. I then clicked Cansel if I hit the wrong app.

But I had a little trouble exporting and importing. First I had to load the same tracks, as I had in the other app. And the app crashed a couble of time, during adding tracks, so some of the tracks I had to ad on top of it self, to get the POI into it.

And I never managed to get ALL track data moved over, even when I deleted most of my data and only left data for 2 tracks, Nordschleife BTG and a Danish one called Jyllandsringen. So I had to choose only TRACK and choose Nordschleife BTG. And, by the way, I never could choose Jyllandsringen? The app only let me get Nordschleife BTG even when I scrolled down to the Jyllandsringen data parts when I chose to export?

But it is ok. Jyllandsringen is such a short track, that I dont need to see the sections.

Thanks!

Gert
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

GertSterner wrote:But I had a little trouble exporting and importing. First I had to load the same tracks, as I had in the other app. And the app crashed a couble of time, during adding tracks, so some of the tracks I had to ad on top of it self, to get the POI into it.
Didn't mention that. Export to .hlptrl will export lap and vehicle data, but not the track set (POIs). You need to get these using the Tracks database.
GertSterner wrote:And I never managed to get ALL track data moved over, even when I deleted most of my data and only left data for 2 tracks, Nordschleife BTG and a Danish one called Jyllandsringen. So I had to choose only TRACK and choose Nordschleife BTG. And, by the way, I never could choose Jyllandsringen? The app only let me get Nordschleife BTG even when I scrolled down to the Jyllandsringen data parts when I chose to export?
To export all laps of a track, select any lap of this track and press "Export" from this "Lap Details". Selecting "Track" in Lap List's (opposed to Lap Details) will always consider "Track" to be the track currently active (NordschleifeBTG in your case).

Btw. the crash mentioned happened while still on v17.0.5? Or has this been 17.0.6 already. Keep my fingers cross 17.0.6 does the job without a crash.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

toysareforboys wrote:I ran the check database on my lap list and it doesn't crash anymore! YAY! Thanks Harry :D
That's pretty good news. :-D I thought the database issue fixed in 17.0.6 had an effect on situations were laps have been deleted only. Now it turns out it has been the cause for this open item too!

Harry
Image Image Image Image
GertSterner
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by GertSterner »

Btw. the crash mentioned happened while still on v17.0.5? Or has this been 17.0.6 already. Keep my fingers cross 17.0.6 does the job without a crash.
Hi Harry,

it was 17.0.5. I have not tried it since I upgraded to 17.0.6. But, just to make shure you know what I mean, it was not the export / import that made the app crash. I was the totally standard thing of adding a track to the active list. The app crashed when I clicked then Load button. After the crash, when I opened the App again, I could see, that some of the tracks got in. On some, it looked like they got in, but there were no POI.

I use a iPhone 4s, because I have the TomTom holder for that type of iPhone.

I also have an iPhone 5, so now I tried it with that one. And it crashed again. On version 17.0.6.

I think I found a way to make it not crash. When you scroll the tracklist, you do it very slowly. When you click Load and get to the info page of the choose track, you wait 10 sec. Then you scroll down to the other Load button and press it. Then nothing crashes. I am on Wifi on a 1 Mbit internet connection, but I can see, that the app must have a little time to load all data on the page.

===

I have other questions:

1) Why does the app always start with black bacground and then shifts to white within a minute or two? I guess the color is tight to the time of day, but it does this even at midt day.
2) I can't seem to find a place to set at what time it should go to black and at what time it should go to white. Is there settings for that?
3) When I scroll the tracklist, a lot of times the middle track on the page zoomes in and gets a little bigger and cover the track right over and under it. That really anoys me. Can that be turned off?

Other than that, I like Harrys Laptimer a lot :-) And uses it to drive a little smoother each time I go arround a track.

Kind regards
Gert Sterner
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

On the crash: sounds like a timing issue / LapTimer accesses some not initialized data in case the UI interaction is too fast. I'd be interested to get my hands on the crash logs. Please check viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1115 for a how-to. Thanks!

1)+2) That is LapTimer's Day / Night skin. It switches to high contrast when it has a GPS position, and the sun is above horizon for this position. Otherwise (no position, or sun below horizon), it is black. During startup, LapTimer has no position, so it will come up in black always. In case you want to switch between black and high contrast manually, switch the skin in LapTimer's Settings.
3) That has been added to allow reading the full track name - even in portrait. Cannot be turned off.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
toysareforboys
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by toysareforboys »

Hey Harry :) Thanks for all your help :) About 17.0.6 crashing...

I decided to bite the bullet and get iTunes. I partitioned my laptops hard drive in half and setup a Mapple Hackintosh on the second half and it works beautifully. I was able to trim my session down to a size small enough to fit on my iPod and move it over with the iTunes picture sync! Yay!

Then the problems started :( I pulled up the lap list, picked one of my best laps, clicked edit, then add video. Down at the bottom it shows the video I copied over, I pick it then I get the filmstrip thing to pick where the lap I selected ENDED. A lot of times HLT would crash back to the home screen when I was trying to pick the right spot in the video :( Once I finally got the right spot picked without crashing and clicked the red "set" button it crashed again :( After about an hour of trying over and over (I didn't change anything) I was finally able to get one lap to complete! yay!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqeQcVZoB_s&hd=1

The crash logs are here: http://ecuflashking.com/LapTimerProfess ... 3_ipod.zip (I couldn't find those .plist files that it talks about in the "how to submit crash logs" faq).

A couple of questions/suggestions:

1. If you could have HLT setup the "camera roll" or whatever where it saves the overlayed video files ahead of time (i.e. when you first install the app, or sometime before you actually overlay a video), then you wouldn't need to use itunes to do a "picture sync" to send over video, you could just copy it directly to the ipod (obviously HLT has access to this folder because it writes the overlayed videos there, and can read them back fine).

2. How do I pick the sync point accurately at the end of the lap? I read the manual, didn't seem to explain it good. Do I pick right were I see myself drive over the finish line painted on the track? In the video I linked above I just matched the HLT overlay to the HLT live display on my iPod (if you pause the video you can see the running overlay lap time and the lap time on the ipod in the video are almost flawlessly sync'd), but the accelerometer and speed don't seem to really match up with what's going on in the video :(

3. Is there a way to do the overlay with no accelerometer or speed, but still the track map and timing info?

4. Can I pick multiple laps (or an entire session) and have HLT overlay a whole bunch of laps all at the same time? Would suck to have to do one by one in individual lap videos/files :(

5. How about whenever HLT crashes it re-launches itself and goes back to near where it was before! Like when it crashed after my first lap on the track, it missed recording data for that entire 30 min session, a lot of lost data :( If HLT could just re-open itself and go back to whatever you were doing before (i.e. "start driving") that would be sweet.

I think that's it :D Keep up the great work!!

-Jamie M.