View more data on a Mac

Request and discussion on new / to change features
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: View more data on a Mac

Post by hms »

Harry wrote:Off topic! :-) I will consider a Mac version for the future, but definitively not for Windows. There are other tools and I try to support them by providing some export formats. A Mac version derived from the iPad version is something I will consider. Please keep in mind this is all a lot of work and hard to be justified as an investment. At least if you do not want to push out another crappy tool... In case I create a desktop version, I want it to be loved by the community like HLT Pro / Trainer are :-)

- Harry
Harry,
I can see your argument against windows and fully understand you not wanting to go there!
Price, Dashware is one you have previously commented on is just under $50, that will read HLT data and overlay. Doesn't seem to be too well supported though.
Now if some deal could be cut to offer a discount to HLT users, HLT providing volume users due to the client base, then is that a way to go? Unfortunately it seems to be windows only, but I suppose could be run under boot camp?
One proviso is that the software has to be to Harrys exacting standards for both the software and support.
If you went you own way and wrote your own software, then make it useable by as many people as possible, not just HLT users, more of them around plus you may be able to convert some to HLT!

And here's me thinking you did it for the love of it!

h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

And here's me thinking you did it for the love of it!
And believe me, that is the reason it exists! LapTimer has no business case today...

Back to the reason why Mac might be, but Windows is not attractive. LapTimer's processing engine is programmed in C and it can be moved to other platforms with some - but acceptable - effort. That is making up 40% of the code. The rest 60%(!) is written in Apple's Objective-C language. It can be moved to MacOS with relevant, but probably acceptable effort. Porting it to Windows is development from scratch. In addition, there is no such tool for the Mac, while for Windows there are some (from free to expensive). As long as you run something like this as spare time pleasure, you need to consider time. :|

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
khammo01
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by khammo01 »

While that would be a nice feature, I would rather that you concentrate your effort where it gives you the greatest reward. If we overwork Harry, he might decide it is not worth his time, and then where would we be? :-)
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

khammo01 wrote:While that would be a nice feature, I would rather that you concentrate your effort where it gives you the greatest reward. If we overwork Harry, he might decide it is not worth his time, and then where would we be? :-)
Back to old school:

:lol:
naked_dave1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by naked_dave1 »

I'd love to have a desktop version for Mac. iPhones and iPad can only do so much with processing power and usability. Having something similar to Dashware, but better, would be very beneficial and would pay ~$50-$75 for the program.
2012 Subaru WRX Premium 5-Door
irvandriel
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by irvandriel »

Just caught this old post.
A track day for club level racer probably costs $1,000. I'd easily outlay $75-100 to get more analysis my Mac and no have to run some crappy thing in a Windows shell.
Would have thought having a bundled iOS app - OS X app package would be pretty attractive and attract new customers.
macduff
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by macduff »

irvandriel wrote:Just caught this old post.
A track day for club level racer probably costs $1,000. I'd easily outlay $75-100 to get more analysis my Mac and no have to run some crappy thing in a Windows shell.
Would have thought having a bundled iOS app - OS X app package would be pretty attractive and attract new customers.
I was thinking $30 would be reasonable but admittedly would spend whatever was asked and agree that the target audience can likely afford it. To put things in perspective, most buyers likely spend much more than $75 on a single set of brake pads.
katmeho
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by katmeho »

Considering that we cant get anything to run natively on Mac OSX, I would be willing to pay more than $100 for a production ready data analysis tool.