Request and discussion on new / to change features
gaskleppie
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Video recording more than one lap

Post by gaskleppie »

Sounds good!
Looking forward to it!
My first coming event is on the ring. Not the best place to test this... Anyway, I will drive lots of laps on Zandvoort in the future so the update is welcome anytime!
imclumzy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by imclumzy »

Hi Harry,
I just wanted to chime in to say that this proposed feature of continuous recording is exactly what I'm looking for. I can't wait for this to be implemented in v15.

FYI, Smartycam (when coupled with an AIM MXL) has this continuous recording feature. It turns on when you start driving over a certain speed and turns off when you stop. Since it's an "industry standard" is recommend looking to it for inspiration. That's my 0.02 :)
wingrider
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by wingrider »

imclumzy wrote:Hi Harry,
I just wanted to chime in to say that this proposed feature of continuous recording is exactly what I'm looking for. I can't wait for this to be implemented in v15.

FYI, Smartycam (when coupled with an AIM MXL) has this continuous recording feature. It turns on when you start driving over a certain speed and turns off when you stop. Since it's an "industry standard" is recommend looking to it for inspiration. That's my 0.02 :)
The TrackPro app for iPhone also records from a 20Mph start until 1 minute after vehicle stop, but no telemetry and you use iTunes to pull out the video files. It treats each lap like a DVD chapter track so it just hops to that point in the video if you want it to. The HD video is really good. I've pondered using that video and cutting it into Harry's telemetry data overlay.

-Wingrider
tdott
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tdott »

I am also patiently waiting for this feature.

I had my first track day to try out Harry's Laptimer and it didn't do as well as I expected, GPS signal was great when stationary, but once moving dropped dramatically. The results were very poor GPS tracking, often times missing the start/stop marker completely, I have a few videos where it recorded two laps as one because it didn't come close enough to the start stop marker.

I am okay with the GPS data and the speed data being off, What i would have preferred was a more consistent video. Due to the GPS signal issues, many of my laps weren't recorded.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Which iPhone generation did you use. For 3G and 3Gs I recommend an external sensor. In case you have this problem with a 4G, please check your mounting position. The iPhone4 should not have this kind of problems.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
csmarx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by csmarx »

That sounds awesome!

I find that on many tracks the start/finish line is somewhere in the middle of the main straight. Currently that means you never get to see a full run of the straight in the video. You see the second half of the straight in the beginning of the video and then the first half at the end of the video. Somehow it feels a bit unsatisfying to watch...

What would be fantastic - although probably much more complicated - with your new video idea, would be to also have the overlay data show on the video from the earlier point before the start and to the later point after the finish. Obviously this would require knowledge of what the preceding and following laps are in order to get the data from those laps.... :geek:

Alternatively, I vote for the multi lap idea - either at time of recording or during processing.

-Christian
KrisS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Earlier start and later finish of video recording

Post by KrisS »

Is it possible to buffer video and start recording roughly 3 to 5 seconds before trigger (start/stop) is passed and finish recording same amount of time after stop trigger is passed ?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

@KrisS, merged your post into this thread.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
KrisS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by KrisS »

Fine for me. Trying to use search before posting but sometimes it does not help (maybe that's why I missed this thread) . Anyway OBDLink Wiifi if on its way to me and I expect to have few more track days this year to test the Laptimer. Maybe we should have different types of triggers : Video go / Video stop ? Then the recording would start earlier and finish later and the time measurement would be from start of the track lap till end of it (separate markers).
Timmmy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Timmmy »

Harry,

Sounds like a great plan, I can't wait for version 15! :)

I guess when I upgrade my phone I now have an excuse to buy the one with the most storage.

Another related question, if I use trainer would it be possible to do side by side lap comparison with video.

Cheers and keep up the amazing work.

Tim my