Video naming & video exports naming

Request and discussion on new / to change features
Toyotero
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Video naming & video exports naming

Post by Toyotero »

When I go to a track weekend, I typically end up with 8 sessions of videos. Afterwards when I try to export them w/ telemetry overlay, keeping track of which is which can be very confusing since I then end up with a another vaguely identifiable video in the list. This screenshot exhibits that.

In my screenshot, I had tried to export one video with overlay 3 times, and it appeared to fail each time due to some audio issue, but looks like it may have actually created a duplicate of the video. It's hard to tell since there isn't much to go by in this list. Whenever I have had exports create successfully, the end results similar, a LOT of videos with not much way to tell which are the exports and which are the original RAW videos.

Is there a way to make the videos have names that appear on this page in the app? I think I'd want them named to include the lap numbers for that day or something to keep them in order, and easily identify original vs export, like this perhaps:

65-78-vid-HMSR
65-78-exp-HMSR

Thanks!
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (130.9 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video naming & video exports naming

Post by Harry »

When using LapTimer's laps-centric view when overlaying, it will keep track of the video type (original or overlaid): once you create a new overlaid video from Lap List, the link from lap to original video will be replaced by a link to the overlaid video for all laps you selected for overlaying. You will see the cam icon shown in your snapshot above to a dash icon in this case too. When selecting a lap you will see just the overlaid version now. To get back to the original video, you need to press "Revert".

Opposed to this, I assume you approached overlaying using a video-centric view: instead of navigating from Lap List, you selected a video in Video List and overlaid from here.

You may want to try the former to get better support handling videos. LapTimer has been designed with this lap-centric view because for us it looked like the natural way looking into overlaying: we were not interested in full session overlaying (for distribution) but like the "pick the most interesting" lap instead.

Two more hints when handling videos: every video recording from within LapTimer will come with the prefix "LapTimerCapture" while any video overlaid and exported will start with "LapTimerOverlay". For the iOS version, LapTimer stores metadata on the video type for key Type and key space Common to either RAW or OVERLAID.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image