5. Export video and data and do the overlay on the Mac

Request and discussion on new / to change features
Spinnetti
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

5. Export video and data and do the overlay on the Mac

Post by Spinnetti »

Either with software you specify, or a simple app that you export from the phone and the Mac acts as the processing muscle to do the overlay instead of doing on the phone.

Basically, my ultimate goal is to get a full 24hr endurance race on video with overlay of the whole thing, and be able to separate out stints and discard anomalous laps for analytic purpose.

Cheers,
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: 5. Export video and data and do the overlay on the Mac

Post by bulls23 »

I know it's a feature request...but I'd like to comment on that. I did ask Harald myself about the option to overlay several laps / a whole stint at once, but I think it's pretty clear that due to the available memory (especially considering your case with endurance races) even on the biggest iPhone version it wont be possible I guess. Personally in your case I would go for a solution with an action cam for continuous video recording (and even there 32GB is max for a Gopro as far as I know), laptimer for the logging bit and software on Mac / PC to bring it all together. There is Dashware, Trackvision and Racerender which all require Windows. I'll guess you will have to use Boot Camp or Parallels to use these. The only ones I know, planning a possible Mac version are the guys from Racerender. Right now they are having a poll on their site:

http://www.racerender.com/RR2/Download.html

Spread the word around the Mac people...maybe they'll produce it.
Spinnetti
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: 5. Export video and data and do the overlay on the Mac

Post by Spinnetti »

bulls23 wrote:I know it's a feature request...but I'd like to comment on that. I did ask Harald myself about the option to overlay several laps / a whole stint at once, but I think it's pretty clear that due to the available memory (especially considering your case with endurance races) even on the biggest iPhone version it wont be possible I guess. Personally in your case I would go for a solution with an action cam for continuous video recording (and even there 32GB is max for a Gopro as far as I know), laptimer for the logging bit and software on Mac / PC to bring it all together. There is Dashware, Trackvision and Racerender which all require Windows. I'll guess you will have to use Boot Camp or Parallels to use these. The only ones I know, planning a possible Mac version are the guys from Racerender. Right now they are having a poll on their site:

http://www.racerender.com/RR2/Download.html

Spread the word around the Mac people...maybe they'll produce it.
Stints in my car are about 2hrs as that's when it runs out of fuel. I was able to get full stints, but can't overlay video on it. Seems to only do one lap at a time. I'd be ok even just with that. I like having it on my phone and sold off my bullet cam.

I'd like preferences to hide about 99% of the interface. I want to pick the track/driver/car, then it does the rest. At the end of a stint it auto-overlays the video. All the other cool functions I'd prefer in desktop software as I'm not doing analytics at the track on the phone anyway.