More Fields in Timer Views

Request and discussion on new / to change features
smileyke
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: More Fields in Timer Views

Post by smileyke »

Thanks. I think the video does explain it much better than I could. Would love to see this implemented.
Chris
Driver
Four Car Garage Motorsports E36 Chumpcar World Series
http://www.4cgm.com
smileyke
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by smileyke »

I used the portrait view during 18 hours of endurance racing this past weekend of which I drove for 6 hours. Both myself and the team captain thought that the last digits of the gap timer should be as large as the other numbers. When we were within a second of our fastest lap the small numbers were too small to be useful. You had to take a long look at the device to see if you were 0:00.10 slower or 0:00.90 slower. Instead of 0:00.oo it should be 0:00.00. For all our purposes you could show only 0.00 and not the tens of seconds or minutes gap unless it got that high. If you were more than 3 seconds slower a lap then you did something very wrong. (Fast lap was 1:16.10) You really only knew without taking too long to look, when you were slower when you were more than 1 sec off. It also further reinforced my want for the large slider as a small movement on the large slider is easier to see that reading 0:00.35 vs 0:00.45
Also, I could not get the red box to work that I could see, even though the gap from best lap was working and trying to export the laps afterwords failed on both email and Dropbox running ios7. Over 500 laps from day 1. I did about 180 laps on day 1. Recap here http://hooniverse.com/2013/09/21/livebl ... ark-day-1/ we are Four car garage motorsports (4CGM) and got 3rd both days.
Chris
Driver
smileyke
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by smileyke »

Harry,
Headed to drive another endurance race next weekend at Road America.
Let me know if you thought the mockup image I created and link to the video was of any help, or needs any further explanation.
I had another idea for a feature for that delta screen which would be the ability to use an Arduino Bluetooth or some other bluetooth to push a button to let the app know to switch between Fastest Lap or last lap for the delta,
and also, since we are endurance racing and there is more than one driver in the car, in an 'endurance mode' or multiple driver mode, the bluetooth button could switch between fastest lap of the day and fastest lap of your session, with session start/end being determined by a laptime 2-5 minutes longer than usual, or with a press of the Bluetooth button while stopped. I was slightly slower than our team owner last race and would have been very helpful to not only compare my delta to his fast lap, but also switch to compare my delta to my fastest lap.
I suggest a bluetooth button because with fireproof gloves on during the race it is impossible to input on iPhone screen, but we can wire a button that is easy to press that will input to bluetooth received by the iPhone.
Thanks,-Chris
Chris
Driver
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Your request is listed, I cannot say so far when and how it is implemented. Please give some time, I need to balance all the things to do.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
MBlixt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by MBlixt »

I used the portrait view during 18 hours of endurance racing this past weekend of which I drove for 6 hours. Both myself and the team captain thought that the last digits of the gap timer should be as large as the other numbers. When we were within a second of our fastest lap the small numbers were too small to be useful. You had to take a long look at the device to see if you were 0:00.10 slower or 0:00.90 slower. Instead of 0:00.oo it should be 0:00.00. For all our purposes you could show only 0.00 and not the tens of seconds or minutes gap unless it got that high. If you were more than 3 seconds slower a lap then you did something very wrong.
I can not agree more. The last digits, tenths- and hundreds of a second, are the important ones in normal race conditions whereas minutes are not.
I'd also like to see the current lap time static. Initially showing -:--.-- (or left blank) until passing the SF line, say 1:16.95, and stay frozen at that, visible until the next passing (or for a set number of seconds and then turn blank) . A rolling counter is of no use when you're driving, quite the opposite. The predictive time should be the only visibly active element.
And I'm not a fan of digits flashing and/or changing colors.
ambordokan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ambordokan »

smileyke wrote:
Harry wrote:I understand this is a different layout, but isn't your requirement not nearly exactly covered by the portrait Timer view in LapTimer (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=513#p2661)?

- Harry
yes, the portrait layout has almost all the requested features. It is lacking the slider for delta which could replace the acceleration slider. The slider is a quick way to see the delta instead of reading the numbers, and the instantaneous speed comparison (red box) is too small to see quickly. You have almost all the information I would need there but it is too hard to be useful at speed while I am worried about the other wheel to wheel racing. You have done a great job with the technical functionality. I am just suggesting a way to easier visualize the important data while racing. I have attached a Mockup of one way to display the pertinent info, making the delta time and slider the largest they can be, with a small reference to your fastest lap and what lap you are on. (I think you could also include last lap in the same size as fastest lap, and also Flash last lap time on delta area in large font as you cross start finish for ~3sec. iRacing changes the color of the lap time text if it is your fastest lap. So if you set a new fast lap, maybe green instead of black (iracing uses purple...)

The settings buttons and options buttons are not needed while racing since we are wearing gloves, so once you start your lap there is no way (or need) to touch the device. Upon start of the first lap or delay of 1min from starting the timer, you could minimize the menu bars to give more screen area to pertinent data, and after race, upon touch of screen bring back the menus.

I would pay extra for this High-Visibility minimal data option. Our phone is mounted to the side of the center console, past the other gauges that we use, so bigger numbers and info are very helpful.
Thanks for your consideration!
-Chris
This!!! So much this! Harry, we need that (or something like it) to the portrait mode. You don't need to polish it yet, give us what you got. It's hard to find a portrait position to mount the phone on a bike, and those small letters on the portrait mode makes the task of reading all but impossible...

Thanks as always for your GREAT work. Yesterday I convinced another friend to buy your software, he ended up buying the fancier of the three versions.

Cheers!
ambordokan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ambordokan »

Hi Harry, any news on this updated landscape view? Cheers!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This feature is scheduled "optional" in 18.0 and confirmed for 18.1 latest.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
smileyke
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by smileyke »

Harry wrote:This feature is scheduled "optional" in 18.0 and confirmed for 18.1 latest.

- Harry
Hey Harry, I know you are working hard and we really appreciate it!
Any idea when we should look for 18.1?
I am available for some beta testing to check the usability of this screen and provide feedback if needed!
Thanks
-Chris
Chris
Driver
ambordokan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ambordokan »

Yes, it would be great to have this feature, can't wait. I have a race this weekend, could test-ride that too!! :)

Cheers