More Fields in Timer Views

Request and discussion on new / to change features
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

More Fields in Timer Views

Post by Harry »

Hi all,

This thread is actually a poll to collect your requests on extra fields in LapTimer v15.1 / v16.0 timer views. On the pictures below, you see a feature I have just implemented: the tab bar slides out (to the bottom) if not used for some seconds. In the portrait timer views, this frees up space for another row of data I can add.

Image Image

The views receiving this extra space are:
  1. Timer
  2. GPS
  3. Acceleration
  4. Racer's
  5. Classic
  6. Speedo (see above)
  7. Satellites
  8. Trip
Please reply here with your requests naming both the data (use one of the existing gadget titles, or define a new one), and the view(s) you want to see the data to show up in addition to the existing. New fields I plan to provide are Lap# and physical GPS update rate (opposed to the effective update rate as shown currently).

Background information: This is actually a preparation for landscape views. Tab bars are extremely space consuming in landscape views (same height, but much wider). This is the reason I need to hide them anyway. As a positive side effect, portrait views benefit from this feature.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
geefin
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: More Fields in Timer Views

Post by geefin »

1. Timer

With +/- predictive lap timing :D
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

But predictive lap timing is included already in the Timer view? What additional field do you mean? Thanks!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Bestlap
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Bestlap »

Hello Harry !

Predictive laptiming is implemented in a different manner in other products, and it's really exciting / useful !
For example, the PerformanceBox indicates in real time the gap between your current lap and your best lap.
Here is the explanation : http://www.performancebox.co.uk/lap.html

Perhaps a new view could be implemented in LapTimer, showing :
- The reference lap time we are racing against
- The current difference (in big font !) with this reference lap time (with + / - / and a bargraph), refreshed for example every second
- An indicator showing if the reference lap time is fixed or not (explanation on fixed / unfixed bellow)

With the ability to :
- Choose any previous lap as a reference lap time (for example to begin a track day with the best lap we did in the previous track days).
- Set a reference lap time as fixed (so that we only race against this fixed lap time)
or
- Set a reference lap time as unfixed (so that it will be replaced by next best lap time)

That would be perfect ;)

I used to use LapTimer in the past (Harry we debugged 10Hz together with BTStack in 2010) but then I went to PerformanceBox due to my old iPhone 3G becoming too slow to correctly support new versions of LapTimer and BTStack...
Predictive Laptiming is very accurate and useful in PerformanceBox but does not allow us to load a reference lap of our choice and improve it : the loaded reference lap becomes fixed and we can't unfix it, quite crappy !

Thank you very much Harry !
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

That is probably my the favorite post so far :-)

What these guys name predictive timing is implemented in LapTimer since version 5.0(!) - that is actually back in the old PalmOS times. As LapTimer's implementation is exactly as described, you may judge yourself were the roots are. I'm not exactly sure when I released version 5.0, but is was probably back in 2006. 8-)

So it seems my marketing is still weak. :lol:

To clarify for you, please check http://www.gps-laptimer.de/User_Interface.html and search both for the Racer's and the Timer View. Especially the later does exactly what you request. The realtime comparison between current lap and reference lap (either a set lap, the best, or the last) is done 5 times a second - which is the display update rate LapTimer typically uses. The 5 times per second are independent of the GPS used, as interpolation is used. To define a fixed reference lap, navigate into its Lap Details and press the 'Reference' button.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Bestlap
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Bestlap »

:lol: Fantastic :lol:

Harry you win :mrgreen:

If I may, could it be possible in the Timer View to have the relative time (the "predictive" laptiming) in a bigger font ?
Or simply display only relative time, and switch to achieved lap time for 10 seconds for example once the line crossed !

So that we will see the important information clearly, the relative time ;)
We do not have so many time to read all the displayed times while racing :)
So one or two big (lap and current sector for example) could be perfect !

Thank you Harry !
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please check the small button showing 'Both' / 'Gap' / 'Time'. This switches between several big / small char views. 'Both' will show the minimal set very large: both absolute current lap time and lap gap to reference are displayed in large then. In addition when you pass start / finish, the last lap time will stay for approximately 10s blinking. Afterwards, LT switches to the new lap.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Bestlap
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Bestlap »

Once again... :lol:
Thank you vey much Harry, all this is already in LapTimer, that's perfect ;) !

Anything else ? Mmmmhhhh... No ! :mrgreen: :lol:
nigelh
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by nigelh »

Timer view - I would prefer this to be kept a simple as possible, but if there is extra space maybe a single OBD data field would be possible.

Other people may like RPM or coolant temp in there, but if I can get OBD data working (as per my other thread) I'd like the voltage data displayed. Elises tend to burn out alternators with constant high RPM use and the dash light is not a very reliable indicator of failure. I currently have a separate device that gives a voltage readout, but integration into LapTimer would get rid of the need for that.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks.

Thought I publish some early snapshots to make this thread more vital.

Portrait Timer View showing / hiding tab bar:

Image Image

Landscape Timer View showing / hiding tab bar:

Image Image

Let me know what you think :-)

Please note that OBD fields always replace other views in case an OBD device is connected. I do not want to reserve space for something that is not available for the majority of users.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image