More Fields in Timer Views

Request and discussion on new / to change features
Tigrah
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: More Fields in Timer Views

Post by Tigrah »

Hoping this thread is still open and active.

I'm using the timer screen quite intensively but what would work for me is changing the red and grey overlays so that:

1. The entire background of the lap or sector box changes colour - instead of the current small rectangle; and
2. Have the capacity to change the overlay colour. For me, green is fast and red is slow.

My eyes aren't what they used to be so I's like to be able to see whether I'm up or down without any real glance at the timer.

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, on my list.
Image Image Image Image
alpine9000
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alpine9000 »

So from reading this thread it would seem it's not possible to display OBD values on the timer screen ?

If not, I would really love this feature. Coolant temp in my case.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In Timer View, the Overall Acceleration gadget is replaced by a versatile OBD gadget as soon as an OBD is connected. One of the fields is selectable (e.g. Coolant).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
smileyke
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by smileyke »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAZcwfXep2c[/youtube]

This youtube clip from iRacing shows a great use of predictive lap timing. Ideally this is how I would use HLT.
The only numbers I care about are +/- from optimal or reference lap, and if I am faster or slower at that instant. iracing does a great job with the slider showing if you are behind or ahead of your reference lap, then the color of the slider shows if you are faster at that instant than the reference lap.
I would love it if HLT had just a large screen of the +/- Delta and slider like iRacing , and then flashed the laptime upon crossing the start/finish. I use HLT while racing and those are the only numbers that interest me, and you get a lot of information on making your line quicker.

Another option would be instead of the whole screen for the lap Delta, have the lap delta on top and the sector delta on the bottom. Or the Lap delta on top and the laptime on the bottom. Any more than two numbers on the screen and it is too hard to see at speed at a glance. Would like the option to hide all the other buttons while racing to make the numbers bigger. I think the bigger the 'slider' the better. Maybe not the whole screen behind the numbers since that may make the numbers harder to see when it is moving, but if there is no slider, then I think the whole screen changing from red to green behind the numbers would be a good alternative. You can glance out of the corner of your eye and see a big red or green screen to let you know if you are faster or slower at that point at corner exit or entry and that would help. Hard to see the small bar currently.

For me, acceleration is not useful while racing.
We race chumpcar in the US http://www.4cgm.com and I think a lot of others in the series would like the same features. I know a few other teams that use HLT.

Thanks for your consideration
-Chris
Chris
Driver
Four Car Garage Motorsports E36 Chumpcar World Series
http://www.4cgm.com
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I understand this is a different layout, but isn't your requirement not nearly exactly covered by the portrait Timer view in LapTimer (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=513#p2661)?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
smileyke
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by smileyke »

Harry wrote:I understand this is a different layout, but isn't your requirement not nearly exactly covered by the portrait Timer view in LapTimer (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=513#p2661)?

- Harry
yes, the portrait layout has almost all the requested features. It is lacking the slider for delta which could replace the acceleration slider. The slider is a quick way to see the delta instead of reading the numbers, and the instantaneous speed comparison (red box) is too small to see quickly. You have almost all the information I would need there but it is too hard to be useful at speed while I am worried about the other wheel to wheel racing. You have done a great job with the technical functionality. I am just suggesting a way to easier visualize the important data while racing. I have attached a Mockup of one way to display the pertinent info, making the delta time and slider the largest they can be, with a small reference to your fastest lap and what lap you are on. (I think you could also include last lap in the same size as fastest lap, and also Flash last lap time on delta area in large font as you cross start finish for ~3sec. iRacing changes the color of the lap time text if it is your fastest lap. So if you set a new fast lap, maybe green instead of black (iracing uses purple...)

The settings buttons and options buttons are not needed while racing since we are wearing gloves, so once you start your lap there is no way (or need) to touch the device. Upon start of the first lap or delay of 1min from starting the timer, you could minimize the menu bars to give more screen area to pertinent data, and after race, upon touch of screen bring back the menus.

I would pay extra for this High-Visibility minimal data option. Our phone is mounted to the side of the center console, past the other gauges that we use, so bigger numbers and info are very helpful.
Thanks for your consideration!
-Chris
Attachments
Mockup of Predictive lap timing Landscape
Mockup of Predictive lap timing Landscape
harry Predictive.png (48.4 KiB) Viewed 7458 times
Chris
Driver
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Since your main point is the bar. is 't the Racer's view more what you are looking for? The biggest info there is the red race car in comparison to the reference lap, either being slower or faster.
smileyke
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by smileyke »

bulls23 wrote:Since your main point is the bar. is 't the Racer's view more what you are looking for? The biggest info there is the red race car in comparison to the reference lap, either being slower or faster.
Hey bulls,
In the racer view with the car, you only have delta between you and reference lap, only the slider, but no instantaneous speed difference. Check out the video to see how the slider I am thinking of works. You get both references by changing the color of the slider bar to represent the speed difference, and the location of the slider bar to represent your difference in time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAZcwfXe ... page#t=308 The slider description starts at 5:08

This is useful for me to have both measurements, because for example, you enter a corner faster than your last lap, your slider goes to the right, showing you are ahead of your fast lap, and green because you entered faster but because of your faster entry, maybe your exit speed is slower. So as you are exiting the corner , the bar is still to the right, showing that you are still ahead of your fast time, but the color changes over to red, showing you are slower, then as you continue down the straight, the red slider transitions from the right side(- faster time) to the left side of the slider, showing you are slower than your fast lap at the end of the straight due to your poor corner entry. The slider and the instant color work together to give you the whole picture. Next lap you know to slow your entry to get a better run on the exit and a better time on the straight for a faster lap.

They especially are helpful together when you do that same entry but going into the corner your time is either 1 or 2 seconds faster or slower than your fast lap, so instead of starting in the middle with the slider, the slider is starting on the right or left, but you still have the change in slider position plus the color of your speed difference to let you know how you are doing on that corner.

Also with the racers view, still too small for me to see easily out of the corner of my eye, at speed, in traffic. A large slider would be much easier to see then looking at the cars. (for me) If I had to choose between the instantaneous speed difference or the racer view with the slider I would choose the portrait view with the instantaneous speed difference, and look at the lap delta to get what I would get out of the slider, but it is too small currently to be easy to see.
I appreciate your recommendation though. I haven't used racers view a lot so I will give it another look to make sure I am not missing anything.
-Chris
Chris
Driver
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Very cool and especially useful function / view you are requesting there. I watched the video and I guess that can really be useful while being on track, trying different lines. After watching the video, I must say the Racer's view isn't quite the same. You have the little race car and a "shadow" of it as reference to the predictive lap time and you have green and red arrows at the right, which show you the peak values of your speed. In your case, those arrows would have to show just like the color of the bar in your video changes. Harry said lately, thet the Racer's view is somewhat of a remaining bit of the past...with your suggestions...maybe that view evolves and gets a revival ;)