Exporting Overlay Video Only

Request and discussion on new / to change features
tGunn75
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Exporting Overlay Video Only

Post by tGunn75 »

Harry, your app is amazing, thank you so much for building and supporting it!

I would love to be able to export just the overlay data (gauges and track map), with an alpha channel or blue screen that could be removed later in a video editing program like Final Cut Pro. I know there are some software options out there that will use the exported data, but I like the simple gauge/map layout you already have and would love to just be able to overlay that over video from other cameras.

What are the chances of getting this feature in?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Exporting Overlay Video Only

Post by Harry »

Hi,

I had this request several times already. Problem with this approach is transparency is no common concept for videos. Using a blue box approach is possible in principle, although the gauges (with their half transparency) will not work well again. What actually needs to be done is removing transparency for the gauges, and add a blue background.

But - instead of going this path, why not moving th clip you want to overlay to your iPhone, overlay, and do the rest outside?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tGunn75
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by tGunn75 »

I'd prefer not to edit the clip and then import it back into the phone, then export back out again. I think the blue background with no transparency would be a fantastic solution. The blue could be keyed out, and the transparency to the gauges could then be applied in the video editor. I understand you have lots of requests, and this app already does more useful things than most, but if you could squeeze that extra feature in I'm sure it would be much appreciated by many.

Thanks for you time!
switcher
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by switcher »

+1

Green screen option also.

Thanks!
geefin
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by geefin »

Did anyone find a solution for this? A raw green screened export of data would be hugely useful!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, please check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFCkRqBgV5o

Translation is available on LapTimer's Facebook site:
The whole thing is pretty simple. When recording video with your iPhone / iPad, the lens is covered (eg, covered over with a piece of paper plus scotch tape, the main thing a black picture is taken).

The video recording will be saved in the lap timer software including overlay and imported together with the inclusion of the external camera into a video editing software. E.G. Adobe Premiere.

There, the overlay video in the timeline set "on / on" the inclusion of the external camera ("Layer") and directed both videos together in time (see below).

The key now is to "fade" setting the overlay video. This one is on "negative multiply". (. Choose to premiere the overlay video in the timeline and adjust effect settings under the opacity Here are the sub-option: blending mode "multiply negative".)

That's it. Is easy.

Tip: Start recording to start both cameras and even clapping. Then you can visually recordings by soundtrack
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
NRGDEAD
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by NRGDEAD »

I'd also appreciate an option to render just the overlay into a file, with the matte (background) being bright green/blue or a (less bright, obviously) black.
Covering the lens with something is not an option for me, as still want to record raw footage from the device.
The pro's of a data-only export, in addition to the raw videos would be to manually zoom/switch/stabilize/do other fancy stuff in post production, without losing the 1:1 size overlay. ;-)
Now you're cookin'!
geefin
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by geefin »

I created a green-screened 5minute video in Sony Vegas - just simply a flat jpeg of the colour green. I then imported this to the phone/Laptimer and used this as the main video. This created a green-screened output video with the overlay where I could just chroma/exclude the green and put the overlay where I wanted it in Vegas...
callaghan.ted
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by callaghan.ted »

I am new to HLT and frankly to video editing. Completely pleased with the info and gauges in HLT. (Thank you Harry) However the video output from my 5S leaves a lot to be desired. I have a gopro and would ideally like to overlay Harry info on the gopro video (In Adobe Premiere Elements). I would prefer to use the iPhone camera to record video inside the cockpit rather than waste the oportunity by covering the lens.
Does anyone have an improved technique to the methods mentioned below? I have tried the blue and green screen approach but the definition of the info and gauges deteriorate substantially.