USB OBD2 on IOS?

Request and discussion on new / to change features
shepner
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

USB OBD2 on IOS?

Post by shepner »

Would it be possible to use the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Cable and a USB OBD2 cable, to directly read the data? I find that both Bluetooth and WiFi tend to flaky in their own unique ways.

stephen
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: USB OBD2 on IOS?

Post by Harry »

I'm not aware of any Made for iPhone certified OBD adapter. This is required when connecting a device using Bluetooth or Lightning. The only exception are audio Bluetooth devices. I want to say - a physical connection is only part of the problem, iOS will block communication for non Mfi devices.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
shepner
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by shepner »

hmm....well ok, then what about using the Freematics ONE as a data logger, triggering it via BLE and downloading the data at the end of the race? Its arduino based, has a pile of features, and is quite cheap.

Freematics Vehicle Data Logger V4 (Freematics ONE)
Arduino Compliant Yes
User Programmable Yes (via USB)
Built-in MEMS Sensors 9-axis MPU-9250
High Update Rate GPS Yes (up to 10Hz)
xBee Module Extension Yes (GSM, WIFI, xBee etc)
Mass Storage (microSD) Yes
OBD-II Firmware Upgrade Yes
iOS Device Connectivity Yes
Controllers Inter-connection SPI @ 8Mbps

I have an earlier generation of this from a couple years ago. While I had some opinions about his code at the time, I found hardware itself was quite solid. And, of course, since its open source, you can do pretty much anything you want with it.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have one of these. I thought it would be interesting, ordered one and did some tests. The device has been broken and communicated one way only. I had a discussion and that guy could not offer help to get it fixed. I asked him to exchange the unit - which has exactly been the point in time he stopped replying at all. In short: not the company and solution I want to waste time with.

In case you want to work with it, you can certainly do it following instructions in the OBD hackers Guide here on the forum. At max you can register it as either a GPS sending NMEA or OBD sending ELM327, not both. This would require a combined protocol (like for ASL's solutions) I will not invest time in after my initial experience.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image