Drag racing feature request

Request and discussion on new / to change features
Metroplex
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Drag racing feature request

Post by Metroplex »

I have a garmin GLO which has a 10 Hz max refresh rate and have been trying other apps, but no one seems to have a good drag racing timer. Would it be possible to add this to Harrys Lap timer?

In the past it seemed like Harry kept this on the back burner for several years. I'm hesitant to drop $500 on a Vbox that was developed over 10 years ago just for drag racing. Our local track has the worst timing system, but it's a track where I can test my tunes, etc....
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Drag racing feature request

Post by Harry »

You can use it with Harry's Dyno or the corresponding performance function in LapTimer GrandPrix. For Android, the GLO is connected as a standard NMEA GPS. For iOS, LapTimer will use it through iOS's location service once you have paired it. Within LapTimer, you will get the iPhone GPS reported, but it will come with a higher update rate then normal (1 Hz).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Metroplex
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Metroplex »

So which of your apps has the 1/4 mile ET and trap speed (drag racing) measuring feature? Can I use it at any dragstrip or is it only active at a pre-defined location based on GPS?
Metroplex
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Metroplex »

Which of those apps directly supports 1/4 mile ET and trap speeds in drag racing? Or does it just plot a distance vs speed curve and I have to figure it out myself?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The Harry's Dyno / LapTimer GrandPrix performance function does speed range triggered recording. In case you want a distance triggered recording, please use the AX assistant to set starting and finishing position. This means any LapTimer edition. I plan to add a more convenient distance triggered option to Dyno too, but don't have it scheduled yet.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Metroplex
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Metroplex »

Is there a video or tutorial that shows how to use it for drag racing? I've never used your app before and don't know how everything works. I just remember seeing other requests for drag racing support and that it was always on your schedule of things to do.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I hope a tutorial is not really necessary and the app is self explanatory (in this area). ;-)

- LapTimer ‣ Race ‣ Performance (or Dyno ‣ Performance)
- Set any speed range (both acceleration and deceleration supported)
- Drive

Every time you run the range defined, the app will store a recording and display it in Lap List (LapTimer) or Results (Dyno).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Metroplex
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Metroplex »

If I set it for acceleration, say 0-100 mph at the dragstrip, and I cross the line at 110 mph (or 90 mph) would it still store the full run? Or will it just stop recording at 100 mph, or not record at 90 mph?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case you actually want to measure a distance (quarter mile etc), the performance component in Dyno is probably not the best choice.

Instead, set up an AX track using the AX assistant in LapTimer / prepare race. You need to walk to both start and finish. LapTimer will display the distance from start all the time - in case this is helpful. Nevertheless, this is a bit odd given the distance - you may want to drive . :-) As an alternative, create a track manually using any source (like Google Earth) and enter coordinates in LapTimer. You need a standard start Go trigger and a standard Stop trigger at the end.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Wouldn't that be the Standing Start Go trigger? In the AX assistant, you're given a choice between standing start and starting line.