iPhone and iPad Laptimer Pro

Request and discussion on new / to change features
ARGroundzero
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

iPhone and iPad Laptimer Pro

Post by ARGroundzero »

Let me first say, thank you for such a great piece of software. I have been trying to find a piece of software that will allow me to overlay Speed/RPM/Gears to my HD GoPro videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW1jqLuV ... AAAAAAACAA

One thing I am wondering, if I purchase the LapTimer Pro for my iPhone 4S do I also have to buy it for my iPad 2 or does one purchase work on both?

Thank you.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: iPhone and iPad Laptimer Pro

Post by Harry »

You can install LapTimer Pro on your iPad too (using your iTunes ID). However, as LapTimer Pro is an iPhone app, it will not feature iPad features like the large screen size. If you want to have this, you need to go for LapTimer Trainer.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ARGroundzero
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ARGroundzero »

From looking at the apps in the app store none of them have the + symbol to indicate that they work on both ipad's and iphones with a single purchase. Can you verify which app has the ability on both ipad and iphone with one purchase.

Thank you.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

None of the available Harry's apps are so called 'universal binaries' with native support for iPhone and iPad (marked with a plus). This is mainly for historical reasons and difficult to change in app store. All apps design for the iPhone (i.e. all except LapTimer Trainer), will run in iPhone compatibility mode on iPads. They will not utilize the full screen / the iPad's screen resolution.

As LapTimer Trainer is functionally very similar to the LapTimer Pro version, it is the recommendation for the iPad - independent of the operating mode (Trainer to collect and compare data vs. using it as a recording unit in-car).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
orthojoe
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by orthojoe »

ARGroundzero wrote:Let me first say, thank you for such a great piece of software. I have been trying to find a piece of software that will allow me to overlay Speed/RPM/Gears to my HD GoPro videos.
Just a word of caution for you since I bought HLT for the same exact reason. It is very difficult to overlay this information on to gopro video. Also you can only only currently overlay one lap at a time, although from my understanding this issue will be fixed in the next version.
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

For overlaying HLT data to external video you can use Dashware, which iirc is about £50. I'm waiting for Dashware to have the ability to render the HLT data to bluescreen and through Adobe Premier align the data with the video.
H
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

orthojoe
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by orthojoe »

hms wrote:For overlaying HLT data to external video you can use Dashware, which iirc is about £50. I'm waiting for Dashware to have the ability to render the HLT data to bluescreen and through Adobe Premier align the data with the video.
H
I have tried dashware, and I currently own trackvision. There are two issues with going this route:
1) the exported data does not include interpolation/averaging to smooth out the data. HLT does interpolation for only it's own video overlay, and not exported data. As a result, the video overlay is not smooth. Trackvision and dashware does not interpolate data, but apparently racerender does. I have not tried race render yet, but my problem with race render is that the gauges look very poor compared to the nice ones that trackvision has.

2) You can only export data ONE lap at time. This turns the video editing process into something very tedious for those of us who run on tracks that are between 1-2 minutes per lap. There are a lot of laps to do individually, rather than just syncing up for one session.
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

orthojoe wrote:
hms wrote:For overlaying HLT data to external video you can use Dashware, which iirc is about £50. I'm waiting for Dashware to have the ability to render the HLT data to bluescreen and through Adobe Premier align the data with the video.
H
I have tried dashware, and I currently own trackvision. There are two issues with going this route:
1) the exported data does not include interpolation/averaging to smooth out the data. HLT does interpolation for only it's own video overlay, and not exported data. As a result, the video overlay is not smooth. Trackvision and dashware does not interpolate data, but apparently racerender does. I have not tried race render yet, but my problem with race render is that the gauges look very poor compared to the nice ones that trackvision has.
Thanks, wasn't aware of that. So what we need then is for HLT to output to bluescreen?
orthojoe wrote:2) You can only export data ONE lap at time. This turns the video editing process into something very tedious for those of us who run on tracks that are between 1-2 minutes per lap. There are a lot of laps to do individually, rather than just syncing up for one session.
As the data file is CSV, cannot you concatenate the files together to give one large file of all laps and then use that to generate the gauges?
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

orthojoe
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by orthojoe »

hms wrote:Thanks, wasn't aware of that. So what we need then is for HLT to output to bluescreen?
Yes, that would be a nice feature.
As the data file is CSV, cannot you concatenate the files together to give one large file of all laps and then use that to generate the gauges?
h
That's not a bad idea at all. I think that is a good temporary solution.