Separate video and timing start/stop for Autocross

Request and discussion on new / to change features
fwman1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Separate video and timing start/stop for Autocross

Post by fwman1 »

I've struggled with using my HLT when doing autocross. If I manually start the video to avoid the 1-2 second video startup delay when HLT senses me crossing the start line, then my timing for the run is totally off (manual start/stop as opposed to automatic POI driven start/stop). As each run is recorded separately, I cannot edit the ends of the 'lap' video & timing to correspond with the beginning/end of the actual course. HLT does a pretty good job on timing when left to automatic start/stop, but then my videos are missing a significant part of my runs.

I am envisioning a video start option that starts video manually, or at a designated staging point. It would start video, but not start timing. Timing for the run would be done automatically according to the start/end POIs set for the course. After the finish line is crossed, HLT would stop timing, and then after a second or two stop video automatically. This might also offer the benefit of making the video of the runs available for end point editing/syncing.

Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult on the face of it, although that is easy for me to say!

Thank you for the great product and the awesome support.
Roger in Auburn AL (USA)
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Separate video and timing start/stop for Autocross

Post by gplracerx »

Manual start/stop timing is not the way to do it. In video preview mode (I don't think you can do this with background record) there should be a button to start recording the video. I forget whether it's red or green. This will also start timing, but it will detect a new lap when you cross the start line and stop timing when you cross the finish line. This will leave a stub lap before the actual run that you need to delete, but don't delete the video.

Where I've had trouble is the finish. In theory, the video should stop recording when you cross the finish line. The last time I tried it, it didn't, but that was a couple of versions ago. The workaround was to make the finish line a start/finish line. You'll get warnings about having two start POI's but ignore them. Once you cross the finish line (and start a new lap), there should be a button to stop video recording and stop timing. I've had some trouble with this.

My current workaround is to have a separate camera that I start and stop manually and transfer the video from that to the phone, use the manual video for the master and the HLT controlled camera for the PIP. I may try the automated version this weekend. It's also possible that it won't work without the internal camera being on. As I said, I haven't tried the latest version.
fwman1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by fwman1 »

Thank you for the response.
"Manual start/stop timing is not the way to do it. In video preview mode (I don't think you can do this with background record) there should be a button to start recording the video. I forget whether it's red or green. This will also start timing, but it will detect a new lap when you cross the start line and stop timing when you cross the finish line. This will leave a stub lap before the actual run that you need to delete, but don't delete the video."

I am starting the video in the preview mode. If the software is supposed to detect a new lap when I cross the start,then I was missing my triggers.

That being said, it would seem that having the software begin video and then timing separately would simplify post run editing, don't you think?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The app was developed primarily for track days and is a one man operation. I'm pleasantly surprised it does as well as it does for autocross. The competition, SoloStorm, costs a whole lot more and won't run on iOS.

Did you test the triggers when you walked the course? I always define start and finish and then put app in Timer mode and make sure it starts and stops at the correct spot. If I have time, I'll even define split triggers when walking the course and test them too. You may have to go into Expert Settings, scroll down to near the bottom and turn on 'Allow Low Speed'. The default setting won't trigger at low speed. I would turn it back off before running so that you don't get a false start when you're staging.

Other things to consider for autocrossing:

If the course is tight and passes close to the start or finish, you might want to reduce the width of the trigger detection. If you set a direction for a trigger, it defaults to Wide corridor, so that's the one you need to reduce. For a tight course, I'll set the width to the minimum of 5m.

Changed settings don't take effect until you send the app to the background and bring it back again. That's also when it saves data, so be sure to do it after you define your POI's. It's really annoying to have the app crash and have to start all over again.

The internal GPS is nearly useless for autocross. You need at least a 5Hz update rate.

Set the accelerometer update rate to 100 Hz (Expert Settings again). Otherwise, the data filter time constant is too high and the data will be over smoothed. This increases the system load some, but doesn't change the data file size, as that's determined by the GPS update rate. Video is the real memory hog anyway.
fwman1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by fwman1 »

Thank you again. I am using an external gps, but will give those tips a try the next time out. I appreciate the guidance.
Roger
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Starting video recordings manually ahead of automatic lap recordings using distinct start and stop triggers (like for AX) is not supported currently. In case a manual recording is detected when hitting a start trigger, this "manual video" status is memorized when finishing the lap and the video recording is not automatically finished automatically as usually. So for now, there are two options:

1) Do not start a manual recording when driving AX (although this means you miss 1-2 seconds video in the beginning)
2) Use the work around mentioned by gplracerx and change the stop trigger to a stop/go trigger.

When doing 2) you will get a warning when switching the trigger type from Lap List ‣ your AX ‣ User Track Set. You can ignore this. Start a manual recording while staged. After passing the finish, a new lap will be triggered (this is the effect from changing the trigger type). Press "Cancel" here to purge the recording behind the finish line and to stop the video recording.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Where I've had trouble is the finish. In theory, the video should stop recording when you cross the finish line. The last time I tried it, it didn't, but that was a couple of versions ago. The workaround was to make the finish line a start/finish line. You'll get warnings about having two start POI's but ignore them. Once you cross the finish line (and start a new lap), there should be a button to stop video recording and stop timing. I've had some trouble with this.
I just tested the workaround driving around the neighborhood. It works as advertised. When you cross finish, you still have stop and cancel buttons. As Harry pointed out above, the Cancel button automatically purges the trailing incomplete lap data, the stop button doesn't. You still have to delete the timing data from when you started recording until crossing the start line.

If Finish is just a stop, the app thinks the external camera is recording even when it isn't. You have to kill the app to clear its memory. Having a warning about two start lines is a minor inconvenience, in my opinion.

To change the Finish to Stop/Go from Stop open the Finish POI in the track set, scroll down to Trigger and touch the arrow in the Type line and select Stop/Go from the drop down menu. As always, you should send the app to the background after you do this so it's saved.
fwman1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by fwman1 »

Yep, I tested it as well and it does work. I appreciate the extra effort to help me get this working. I just need to do a little script so I can keep it straight during the heat of the battle!
Thanks again guys.
Destructo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Destructo »

What about the possibility of starting video when pressing the "Staged" button for a standing start, then triggering timing on acceleration or crossing the start line?

It would also be nice to have the option to allow video to keep recording for a few seconds after crossing the finish. I get a lot of requests for ride-alongs and would like to capture the passenger's reaction at the end of the run, especially if they are an instructor.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, good suggestion.
Image Image Image Image