Corner entry speed indicator

Request and discussion on new / to change features
ottacat
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Corner entry speed indicator

Post by ottacat »

I'm spitballing this one. What about adding the functionality to specify a desired corner entry speed and have HLT give a notification via some sort of flash that the speed has been reached? The idea is that this is a feature for use by beginner to intermediate drivers who have difficulty consistently judging speed as they are braking before a corner.

Basically for corner x, specify a desired speed like say 90 km/h. As you approach the corner you of course will be going faster and commence your braking. Then when HLT determines you have slowed to the specified speed it gives a notification which I'm thinking would most logically be a flash from the smartphone camera. Basically something that will be noticeable without having to look at the HLT app. The flash in the camera may or may not be bright enough to be noticeable but there are external bluetooth flashes available (iBlazr, Nova) that could be positioned to be give a visible flash.

This would advance HLT from being a purely a logging and analysis tool into a training tool.

The idea is that once a driver gets used to driving the track and one set of specified corner entrance speeds, they could adjust for the next session by bumping up the desired entrance speed on selected corners by 1 or 2 km/h and then going out and doing one or more sessions. Because the driver doesn't need to guess the entrance speed they can concentrate on adjusting their driving to the new, higher speed - the higher g-forces, the more aggressive steering, changes to understeer / oversteer tendencies and so on.

I see this implemented as a new type of trigger being added to a track. The trigger would be placed prior to the turn-in point of a corner and then have an associated speed. When the speed is hit the trigger then activates the flash.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Corner entry speed indicator

Post by Harry »

I have objections with this type of "driver automation". What if e.g. the line driven is not optimal and the speed specified is too high?

Anyway, you can test this feature by using the Alert trigger type. Just add a meaningful title and you will get the alert ahead of the corner. Set the alert into the corner, it will be shown front up anyway. In case you feel this adds value on track, we can further discuss a feature like this.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
racepace
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Corner entry speed indicator

Post by racepace »

I second this as a helpful addition. I'm in agreement that it's not up to the app to tell you what the ideal entry speed should be, but it would be helpful to have some sort of a colored visual indicator of the last or fastest (configurable for one or the other?) corner entry speed previously recorded in the session. From a learning perspecitve, it would be helpful to see this information as it's otherwise hard to challenging to make adjustments mid-stint.

Ideally, it would be very helpful to be able to toggle the "Gap" function in the "Timer" view to show overall lap gap (as it does today) or to switch it to a per corner speed gap view (based on speed measure, not time). Instead of just red and green, it would be helpful to show several colors that map to a set of small incremental speed ranges. That way, out of your peripheral vision, you could pick up a color change depending on how you entered the corner.

In terms of trying to make micro adjustments in specific corners from lap to lap, this capability would be immensely helpful.