Feature Suggestions after Latest Trackday

Request and discussion on new / to change features
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Feature Suggestions after Latest Trackday

Post by ckowalc »

I am using HLT v20.0.14 and noticed a few features I think would be helpful to have in HLT.
  1. Select multiple laps to change properties. For instance, if 50 laps have an 'unassigned' track, the option to check/select all 50 laps and assign a track would be a lot easier than adding the track to each individual lap.
  2. Sort laps in ascending/descending order (by date and lap time). For date, sorting by trackday kind of solves this problem but still seems like it would be easier than scrolling to the bottom every time you want to look at the latest laps you ran.
  3. Reordering the track list. Seems like it would be easy to add a feature to press and hold then drag tracks (like moving apps on your home screen) on in whatever order you want on the 'Tracks' page
  4. Add session timer as an option in the Lap/Session and Lap/Day window on "Timer View". Often sessions 20 or 30 minutes long so knowing how many minutes into the session you are can be more helpful than how many laps you've completed in that session.
  5. Cannot skip to next lap from the lap details page. There is a feature for this on iOS (arrows on either side of the Lap #) and can be useful instead of having to press the back button and figuring out which lap you were looking at.
  6. Having the "Some Track Sets overlap" message every time you look at the Lap List. Ever since I went to VIR on the North and Full course I always get this message. It seems like this message should come up when you are selecting the track in the status menu not when looking at the Lap List. Or could we get an option to "do not display this message in the future"?
  7. Sort/Filter incomplete laps. I was thinking there could be a drop down under each track for incomplete laps/recordings? I guess one could make a "Incomplete" track (this is were #1 would be handy) and put all of them under that track but thought it could be a useful feature if it does it automatically?
  8. Option to turn off/hide regularity? Not sure how many people actually use this feature but it seems like it may confuse people. Mine is set at 6.2 MPH and of course none of the data makes sense.
Let me know what you think.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature Suggestions after Latest Trackday

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. While all of them make sense, I need to balance requests with time available - so please do not expect everything to get available soon. Some comments:

On 1) For some properties, LapTimer asks the user if a change to a single lap should be applied to the whole session. This might be an option I can make available quicker. Tags are a sample this is done, for tracks, it is not currently. In case you have more frequently changed items (beyond track), please let me know.
On 3) That's on my list. On the UI side it is easy to do, but the underlying database is making things complicated. I have deferred this item to a point in time I replace the database altogether.
On 4) This is going together with considerations of some type of "race" support making full race times, session times, and pit stops part of the model.
On 5) Yes, that's missing for the Android version currently.
On 6) The warning is raised whenever LapTimer runs a conflict analysis and detects one. Actually it is mostly an "error" and not a "warning" and the conflict should be removed. There are exceptions, but a conflict like VIR Full / North will screw up recordings and must be resolved. You can either remove on configuration's track set (the row below the track's header) in Lap List, or simply load the one you are currently using. When prompted, allow LapTimer to purge the track set. I consider a warning mute, but it should rather be an expert setting than one for all users.
On 7) Lap List has a filter allowing to select specific dates, vehicles, tags already. This can get an additional filter setting for incomplete laps.
On 8) Regularity is in the bottom to not disturb most users. Expand / Collapse like for other structured list can be added.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ckowalc »

Thanks Harry, I understand it takes time to implement changes and I do not expect all of my suggestions to be good ones (they are only my opinion) just trying to throw a few ideas at you and see what what sticks.
  1. Oh thanks for telling me that, I see what you mean now. Yes, I think if you add that feature for changing tracks that would solve that problem. I can't think of any other items it would be needed for.
  2. Any opinion on this one? I noticed it is the only one you skipped. :) I see filtering by latest session is an option but it seems more intuitive to me to sort in descending order.
  3. Okay, this issue is not that much of a bother since you can collapse or expand tracks.
  4. Cool, I can generally estimate how many laps I should be able to complete within a lap but, yes, a session timer would be helpful since track days usually follow schedules.
  5. This feature makes it a lot easier to navigate lap to lap. Adding this to Android would be nice!
  6. Okay, I guess I didn't understand what the error was saying. I followed your instructions went into the "North" track set under the header, clicked the drop down and selected Conflicts then purged the conflicting POIs. I guess I was scared because Purge in my mind means "get rid of all your data". Now I do not get the error anymore but I do not have the "certified track set" under the VIR Full header. Is this correct? Also, when I go to another track day at VIR North or VIR Full do I need to delete/re-load the track, or just select the track configuration and I'm good to go?
  7. Yes, I think some way to filter out incomplete laps could be a useful tool.
  8. Yes I've learned to ignore it but I had a fellow HLTer ask me what the hell it was (I had to google search it initially as well). I'm not sure how many people actually use that feature (maybe its more popular in Europe) but I think it many be confusing to new users. I believe it used to be set to 0.0 mph so all of the sectors were --:--.-- or something like that. Now it defaults to 6.2 mph so you get negative sectors and it looks like the data is screwed up if you don't know what you are looking at.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

On 2) Laps are sorted by track and in chronologic order next. When starting Lap List, the list will scroll to the last lap recorded in addition. Otherwise, I believe this feature is an overkill.

On 6) Load the track from Add-ons to get it to certified status. Certified status is necessary for Hall of Fame submissions. When revisiting a track just make sure it is either loaded and in "Certified" status, or reload it including purging all conflicts LapTimer brings up. Laps will not be deleted.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ckowalc »

2) Mine does not automatically scroll to the bottom when opening Lap List, it actually automatically starts at the top even if you backed out of the Lap List scrolled all the way down. Checking my iOS version, it looks like it does what you are referring to though but not the Android version.

6) Okay so reloading the track and purging conflicts will get the Certified status back on the newly loaded track but the other track will become "uncertified", corrrect? Basically you cannot have two configurations of same track both be certified. Its not a real bother for me since it does not matter if it is official certified for just comparing laps with friends.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

2) At least scrolling to the last lap is part of the source code... NB: the list will not be scrolled in case the track containing he lap is collapsed.
6) Certified just means there is a common definition for all users - making times comparable across devices. It is a requirement to get a listing in Hall of Fame too. When purging a track set for a track, it is simply the POIs that are removed (temporarily). The track is neither certified or uncertified - it simply has no trigger information until you load it again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ckowalc »

2) The feature seems to work on my iOS version but Android it does not. See the very beginning of the video below (actually made for another issue/thread) but Road Atlanta was my latest track day and the track was expanded but it still started at the top of the list when I opened the Lap List.

6) Okay I will just load the correct track configuration from the add-ons before I do my next trackday :lol:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inOD5fg0ODk[/youtube]
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I ran a test on 2) and the scroll operation is superseded by some other list initializations currently. This means it is there, but has no effect. A fix will be available for the next release.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ckowalc »

Harry,

Any update on #1 listed above? I recently drove the VIR Grand West course and have created my own "custom" tracks based on the sectors defined by Car and Driver for their Lightning Lap. I'd like to be able to take all of the laps recorded that day (35+) and transfer them to my new "custom track" all at once instead of doing them one-by-one.

Also, another feature suggestion we'll call this #9:

9) Could you make a "tile" for Statistics? One part could be similar to your website home page (HLT app stats) and the other part would list your individual stats and could include: distance (mi/km) recorded, top speed, # of tracks driven, # of track days, max lateral acceleration, etc. Then you could add sorting by car or date range. For instance, if you wanted to compare the grip of two tires you've had you could filter by the track, car, and select the date range you used the different tires.

Thanks

EDIT: In addition to what is above:

10) Is it possible to create a way to compare incomplete laps to complete laps? For instance, if you are on a fast lap and a track is waving the checkered flag half way through the course or if you spin towards the end of the lap and "stop" the recording. Can you make a way to see how far ahead you were? I had this happen to me and I remember seeing I was 0.5 sec ahead about 1/3 way through the course but they waved the checkered flag in the last 1/3 of the course so I was wondering what my possible lap time was before I slowed down.

11) I'm trying to recreate the recreate the sectors used in Car & Driver's Lightning Lap pre-2014 in which they had 5 sections (as shown in the image below). I'd need to create 10 splits to make the 5 small sections but HLT limits each track to 8 splits. I understand why you wouldn't want certified tracks to have that many splits but can you allow custom user-defined track to have more than 8 splits?

See more info in this thread: http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/viewto ... 972#p20972

ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ckowalc »

Any update on this suggestions?