HLT API

Request and discussion on new / to change features
salvodrago
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

HLT API

Post by salvodrago »

Hello Harry,

I'm building a remote control based on WIFI. I can control devices by sending an UDP/TCP message. Has Laptimer an API?
It would great to add a remote control in the steering wheel/handlebar to start/stop recording and/or to sweep among the the differenct views.

Cheers and thanks again
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HLT API

Post by Harry »

As LapTimer starts and stops itself, the former is probably not necessary? By coincidence I just added a deep link capability to LapTimer allowing to switch views. Something like

Code: Select all

laptimer://view.GPS 
. There is an another interface used for communication between LapTimer and the MultiCam app too. This part however is iOS only and uses its proprietary communication layer. I plan to switch this to Bluetooth Low Energy for both iOS and Android in a future release.

That's the status for now. I think before investing in an interface, use cases to remote control LapTimer need to be discussed. Switching and adding the connection technology is work but will be easy to do as external actions are added for the deep link capability anyway.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
salvodrago
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by salvodrago »

Hi Harry,

thanks for your prompt reply.
Regarding the start/stop it is true that the app does it automatically, as long as triggers have been defined previously. I use laptimer as travel logger and it's handy to start the logging while driving without the need to touch the phone (which BTW I cannot do since I wear gloves for motorbike). Now I've solved this problem by tweaking the iphone to emulate the touch of the screen under the pressure of some physical buttons :). An API would certainly simplify this also for common user.

Is there some documentation regarding the iOS communication layer? I guess it is used for the apple watch, isn't it?
Thanks again. Cheers
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Docs are here: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... yFramework
But this is the technical layer only and will be replaced by an BT LE API. Do be defined based on requirements. AppleWatch communication will use a more stable but less versatile communication technic.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
salvodrago
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by salvodrago »

Thanks, looking forward for the BT LE API.
Maybe another good feature for HLT, which is also seen in other loggers, is the definition of triggers based on data-flow like gps frames or OBD frames.

Cheers...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

salvodrago wrote:Thanks, looking forward for the BT LE API.
Maybe another good feature for HLT, which is also seen in other loggers, is the definition of triggers based on data-flow like gps frames or OBD frames.

Cheers...
Off topic ;-) This is a mode early lap timers used, especially when a direct connection to the net has not been available for 95% of users. I'm not sure it is still an option necessary. I do not have precise numbers, but LapTimer usage will break down into the (largest) group of drivers running a predefined track. No need to define it yourself, just load it from the list. The other large group are Autocross events. For these, a mode setting triggers manually or automatically while driving is not the best choice again: everything is within walking distance and it is a good idea to walk the track anyway. So the AX assistant is better suited again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image