Downloadable Car Profiles

Request and discussion on new / to change features
Giuseppe
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Downloadable Car Profiles

Post by Giuseppe »

When I setup HLT for my car it was a little time consuming to look on the internet for all the gear ratios, and then QC those values to ensure they were indeed correct. Then I had to load them all in to get a proper set of car data.
But, now that I have that setup, can we improve the software so that these are uploaded into a master DB so that others in the future can then download them? If there is no matching car then theirs becomes uploaded as the default for that car?

This is similar to how the tracks work I suppose.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Downloadable Car Profiles

Post by Harry »

Yes, and it is definitively on my list of future features. The last major release has added Edmunds integration - which fills in 70 percent of the data required. At least if you car is distributed in the U.S. Try the Lookup function to use it. Oddly, it does not come with gear information, so this one needs to be added manually.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

I kind of don't like that kind of non certified user submitted content, especially for something crucial like gear ratios...wrong data = malfunction of overlay etc. Gear ratios are somewhat difficult to come across for some manufacturers and what about the different transmissions (double clutch, automatic, manual...). Some car models even have different gear ratios in the same production year depending on country and or options. One of the big USPs of Laptimer, is the accurate and certfied data it provides like the tracks...wouldn't like to see that changing.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, a pretty smart algorithm will be required to get the quality right. The different gear and drive options would certainly need a differenciation. A certification mechanism involving manual operations (like for tracks) is beyond what is available in man power. I'd need to start getting into the vehicle data repository business and find clients beyond my apps to get an extra person funded...

In case anybody reading this can point me to a vehicle data provider having all this data available, I'd consider licensing. Any providers I contacted so far were no able to provide the data required.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I don't see how you could do an automatic transmission anyway, given that the torque converter isn't anything like a solid connection under load.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As gear calculation is done using a "best fit" approach, some slip doesn't matter much. I had no reports on non working automatic boxes over the last years, it seems to work.
Image Image Image Image