Turn by Turn Audio-Guide

Request and discussion on new / to change features
lenlennart
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Turn by Turn Audio-Guide

Post by lenlennart »

Hey,

Especially for Nordschleife it would be really cool to have a turn by turn audio guide.
I mean you do have the POIs (corners/sections) already - it would be really great to have a specific audio-file playing eg. at turn 6.

I mean something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10f_u8HxgUM

The audio-guides could of course be in-app purchases.

Cheers
Lennart

Edit: The software would need is a funcionality to record and play an audio guide and purchase audio guides from others.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Turn by Turn Audio-Guide

Post by bulls23 »

Sounds like a great idea...but in reality a generic turn by turn guide simply doesn't work. In fact look at the comment of your linked video...that was me and nobody ever answered it...so I guess it's not as advanced and specific as you may expect. Furthermore that app doesn't seem to have evolved much since then, at least I haven't heard anything new from...
The App is free but the guides have to bought separately...that's fair I guess, but how often are these guides updated? In the video you hear things like "turning point is at the change of tarmac..." but being a regular Nordschleife driver, I almost guarantee you that change of tarmac doesn't exist anymore. Part of the track are redone at least every off-season...marks, tarmac differences or even bumps come and go, so you a constant updating of those guides is needed.
Then there's the huge difference between cars and speeds, you only get basic turn in points and the main driving line but nothing specific for your speed or power...especially dangerous on the Nordschleife.

For me, the best way of learning a track is to:
- get some passenger laps with someone giving you the first introduction (doesn't have to be a pro...just a regular driver of the specific track)
- and then some guided laps either following someone or having him / her in your car

Forget about driving simulators too (personal opinion), at least for something like the Nordschleife. The massive elevation changes, change of light in the woods, bumps etc. simply don't come through...might work for learning the layout of a short track though. I had done thousands of simulations laps of the Nordschleife and was completely lost on my first real lap after just a few corners...so much going on on the track, the other drivers, all the different types of cars / speeds and yourself trying to stay on the grey stuff.
I even think it might be somewhat dangerous because lots of people simply rely on "the voice"...the way the get stuck in places they never should have been in the first place, simply because the sat nav told them to take that turn...