CarPlay (iOS) / MirrorLink (Android)

Request and discussion on new / to change features
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: CarPlay (iOS) / MirrorLink (Android)

Post by bulls23 »

Just asked myself the same question...again. Really like my Pioneer SPD-DA120 but the only thing I really use on a daily basis is Spotify. Even for navigation I would rather use my offline Navigon App, which also will not be approved for CarPlay. Instead we get those stupid generic radio station Apps...dozens of them for each individual radio station. Really don't understand Apple's way of doing this...same for HomeKit. Both things have such great potential and have been out there for years now without evolving thanks to Apple not letting anybody actually do some software for it. Such a shame...
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

I just came across this:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... VH-3300NEX

Finally a 1-DIN Carplay radio!!! Why is this good news? Some people with let's say a Landrover Defender can finally have Carplay in their car too, without having to custom build a whole dash with 2-DIN radio...and maybe that person gets so exited about it and starts getting on Apple's nerves again to get HLT on Carplay :mrgreen: ;)
Mateusz
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Mateusz »

We might wait for the carplay forever. In the meantime, there seem to be another solution, alas it is vehicle specific: https://developer.ford.com/pages/applink.

I see the available interactions as quite promising - you could possibly even get by without OBD-2 or GPS link! The app could have access, among others to:

Vehicle Information
fuelLevel
fuelLevelState
instantFuelConsumption
odometer
tirePressure
vin

Driving Characteristics
beltStatus
driverBraking
myKey
prndl
rpm

speed

-----------------------------
AppLink is a suite of APIs that provide the ability for mobile developers to extend the command and control of a mobile application to the in-vehicle Human Machine Interface (HMI). AppLink transfers the normal functionality processed by touching a mobile device screen in to the familiar vehicle controls such as voice commands, steering wheel and radio buttons, and capacitive touch screens.

The applications run entirely on the mobile device without the need to install any software from the apps in the vehicle head unit. The AppLink APIs exchange program data as well as command and control information over a known transport layer allowing the SYNC system to exchange messages with any AppLink enabled application in a predetermined format. This template approach removes the burden from developers of having to recreate any UI on the vehicle display. This technology is similar to how Bluetooth devices and digital media are integrated to work on various production platforms.

What is SYNC?

SYNC is an integrated in-vehicle communications and entertainment system embedded in Ford and Lincoln vehicles. SYNC handles all of the commands sent from an AppLink application and delivers the intended message inside the vehicle. All UI including commands, display requests, vehicle data authorization, and responses are managed by the SYNC system on behalf of the mobile application, and communicated over AppLink.
Mateusz
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Mateusz »

The latest release on iOS12 leaves some hope? Not quite, but HLT could be classified as a form of navigation software...
anthonymckay
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by anthonymckay »

I think you could make a good argument that HLT can be classified as Navigation Software. Here's a presentation at WWDC about updating for CarPlay. Worth looking into. https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2018/213/
tdott
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tdott »

Everything I've used in CarPlay so far has been very limited.

IMO I don't see that working well with a HLT app.
tdott
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tdott »

Third Party Access seems to be opening up in iOS 12.

Any hopes that HLT can do what it needs to?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I think it is opened up for navigation apps, nothing more.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Mateusz
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Mateusz »

Laptimer could, with some stretch, be defined as a navigation soft - it displays corner names doesn't it?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have applied as a extended navigation system some days ago.
Actually that's the third time, they didn't come back the two times before.
We will see.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image