Rally Start trigger

Request and discussion on new / to change features
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Rally Start trigger

Post by devenh »

Hi Harry,

We've discussed adding a rally start to the existing start/finish and standing go triggers and I hope this feature makes it into the next major version and is available by April :D

Just wanted to share some thoughts on how best to implement this. At first I thought it would be best to just enter the starting time a couple of minutes ahead of time. But last Sunday at the starting line the race director changed the starting interval from one minute to thirty seconds. With helmets and gloves on, it would be difficult to reset HLT at this point. And especially so if one is running HLT on more than one device.

So instead you may want to consider implementing a rally start almost exactly the same way as a standing go. The only difference would be that upon sensing acceleration HLT would not record the actual starting time, but would instead measure the starting time as the time closest to :00, :15, :30, or :45. This seems pretty flexible as it doesn't require setting anything ahead of time and adapts very easily to a last second delay.

Deven
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Rally Start trigger

Post by devenh »

Also found out that the clock used by the rally is based on GPS time.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I hope they are aware it is delayed ;-)
Image Image Image Image
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

Any chance this feature will be available by May 15?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, it is not scheduled yet. Actually I'm not yet sure on a convenient and intuitive way to implement this either... Regularity racing is coming with some similar requirements - it needs to be all the same in the end.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
zeusbap
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by zeusbap »

For what it's worth, I came to these forums today with the intentions of suggesting a Rally Mode. Glad to hear you are already talking about it!

Functionally, it sounds like you cover the start logic above (which I agree with), and after that it needs to provide a 'finish' button, then it will have stage time and positional information for later viewing. The main request from me is that you don't need to set the start/finish position before running the stage. That will also allow you to record other types of events without knowing the route ahead of time.

Good luck, hope it works out soon! I'll be happy to help with rally-related logistics.
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

For a very lengthy discussion of this topic, see

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2243

This thread explains why a Rally Start trigger is needed. The short answer is that a time (or clock) based start is much more accurate than a start triggered by the motion of the car.

I'm pretty sure for HLT to work you'll need to have the "course" configured in the app. If you can't create a course ahead of time, maybe a plain GPS app might work?

Harry is very responsive to user questions and input. The Rally Start trigger is a bit off the primary use of HLT, but I hope someday the feature will be added :idea:
zeusbap
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by zeusbap »

Ah, I understand. I thought we were talking about stage rally, not road rally. To avoid hijacking this thread, I'll make mention of my request in a new thread. Sorry!