Any updates for us to see, Harry?

We're really looking forward to it!

:)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Timer View Redesign

Post by Harry »

O.k., some snapshots to make a nice weekend :-) These are no Paintshop mockups but real snapshots already. The values shown make hardly any sense, so please ignore that part. "Laps to Pit" is implemented already and will hopefully generate reasonable results - even for faulty OBD fuel level reports.

But it is still a lot of work to do until I can release it. I need to complete this view, add support for 3.5' screens, need to add portrait, need to add iPad support and need to add Android support. Furthermore, I doubt this is the last iteration. ;-)

New features compared to the first draft:
  1. The gap is shown vertically to make a more natural orientation for "ahead" and "behind"
  2. Added a view for drivers focussing on a sector level
  3. Added sector indicators as proposed
  4. Added a Zoom option (see last snapshot) by touching the (big) time gadget; this is for those who want even larger digits
Thanks for any feedback.

- Harry
Attachments
iOS Simulator Screen shot 22.08.2014 16.23.42.png
iOS Simulator Screen shot 22.08.2014 16.23.42.png (82.73 KiB) Viewed 2827 times
iOS Simulator Screen shot 22.08.2014 16.23.43.png
iOS Simulator Screen shot 22.08.2014 16.23.43.png (72.71 KiB) Viewed 2827 times
iOS Simulator Screen shot 22.08.2014 16.23.45.png
iOS Simulator Screen shot 22.08.2014 16.23.45.png (80.14 KiB) Viewed 2827 times
iOS Simulator Screen shot 22.08.2014 16.23.54.png
iOS Simulator Screen shot 22.08.2014 16.23.54.png (66.21 KiB) Viewed 2827 times
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Very nice, like it a lot and I think this will be the preferred view while lapping and trying to improve.
One question: when not connected to OBD2, what will the small boxes beneath the main time be filled with? Number of satellites if connected via NMEA device or VBOX for example?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

bulls23 wrote:Very nice, like it a lot and I think this will be the preferred view while lapping and trying to improve.
One question: when not connected to OBD2, what will the small boxes beneath the main time be filled with? Number of satellites if connected via NMEA device or VBOX for example?
Not sure. "Laps to Pit", "Oil", "Coolant", "Gear" are "OBD only" fields. I tend to use the space for larger numbers but can't find a good screen layout between the new standard and zoomed versions. Making the large time display higher makes no sense as the font is shrinked already to fit the width available. Making it higher makes the situation worse. Making it wider looks ugly.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

One more screenshot to better understand the logic of "time won / lost" vs. "winning / losing time":
iOS Simulator Screen shot 22.08.2014 17.03.16.png
iOS Simulator Screen shot 22.08.2014 17.03.16.png (83.57 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
How to read this: the "street" shown to the right is shown red when losing time (compared to reference) currently and green when winning. The gap time (-01.45) is negative, which means time won (so far). So the above snapshot is saying: so far, you have won 01:45 seconds compared to the reference lap (green), but you are currently losing (so the 01:45 will go down). I have chosen to use the full street for coloring as the indicator "winning / losing currently" is the most important information while driving.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ambordokan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ambordokan »

Harry wrote:One more screenshot to better understand the logic of "time won / lost" vs. "winning / losing time":
iOS Simulator Screen shot 22.08.2014 17.03.16.png
How to read this: the "street" shown to the right is shown red when losing time (compared to reference) currently and green when winning. The gap time (-01.45) is negative, which means time won (so far). So the above snapshot is saying: so far, you have won 01:45 seconds compared to the reference lap (green), but you are currently losing (so the 01:45 will go down). I have chosen to use the full street for coloring as the indicator "winning / losing currently" is the most important information while driving.

- Harry
Great view, loved it! The big red or green bar indicating the status is indeed the most important thing.

I would add only the current lap number somewhere in the zoomed view, so in a race I don't have to find the lap counter at the side of the track (high speeds, usually battling for position, tucked behind the windshield, surrounded of other motorcycles, it's quite easy to miss it...). Is this viable? Thanks!
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

It's pretty and probably useful for lapping on a road course. In an autocross, at least for me, I don't even know the device is there, much less what's being displayed on it. My concentration is completely focused on where I'm going. A significant fraction of the time, I'm looking out a side window to find my next key cone.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

gplracerx wrote:It's pretty and probably useful for lapping on a road course. In an autocross, at least for me, I don't even know the device is there, much less what's being displayed on it. My concentration is completely focused on where I'm going. A significant fraction of the time, I'm looking out a side window to find my next key cone.
Absolutely. The design principle (for circuit use) is to display large digits and color fields for data you may want to see while driving (Time and Gap), while all others are to watch while "pausing" on a long start / finish line only (Last, Lap#, Laps to Pit, sector results). There is another set of fields you will not really look at while driving, but which will get colored once something is wrong (temperatures).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image