Ability to adjust video zoom before recording

Request and discussion on new / to change features
mjkuhno
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Ability to adjust video zoom before recording

Post by mjkuhno »

I've recently started 'testing' (meaning trying to teach myself how to use it, not actually testing the new version) Harry's Laptimer to get ready for the upcoming motorcycle track days season.

To mount the camera on the bike I picked up an Optrix XD5 case and have it shooting video behind me (GoPro mounted on the front of the bike). I tested the setup this weekend riding around my neighborhood (much to the surprised looks of neighbors not used to seeing a track bike puttering around at 25mph) and noticed that the lens on the XD5 case causes a fisheye effect. If I remember correctly, the Optrix app corrects for this by zooming the camera slightly so you get the whole frame. Is there any way to zoom the video in HLT? I haven't found it yet and was hoping others know.

Thx much - definitely looking forward to using this tool to improve my times this season (and get some really cool video overlays as well!).
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ability to adjust video zoom before recording

Post by Harry »

Hi,

LapTimer (neither Optrix VideoPro - the LapTimer derived Optrix app) does not support a reduction of the field of view currently. I will likely built that into the next Optrix VideoPro release, but have not yet scheduled it (due to the overload I expedience already).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
mjkuhno
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by mjkuhno »

Hi Harry,

We're about to start the new track season here shortly in North Carolina and I thought I'd check in with you on this topic.

Any chance you're planning to 'surprise' us and provide this functionality in the upcoming Laptimer spring release? I'm really hoping you consider it!!

Thanks much
- Mike
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Optrix has a flat lens for their case that doesn't change the field of view. They claim to sell lenses separately, but the only one listed on line is the 2x telephoto which is currently out of stock. They used to sell a kit that included a macro, telephoto, flat and fish eye lens, but I don't see that on their site any more.
mjkuhno
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by mjkuhno »

Yes, I know - thx for the info. I thought I remembered the same and contacted Optrix. They replied earlier today that the XD5 case, with plastic threads, can only support the fisheye lens - but if you have their Other case (PhotoX I think) it has metal threads and can use the flat lens.

Want to guess which threads I saw when I went out to the garage and checked the track bike a few minutes ago? :(
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The lens kit had an adapter with metal threads and an o-ring seal that was glued into the plastic threads. I suspect they stopped selling it because it was fairly easy to cross thread the adapter when installing the kit. That would compromise the water resistance, among other things.
mjkuhno
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by mjkuhno »

gplracerx wrote:The lens kit had an adapter with metal threads and an o-ring seal that was glued into the plastic threads. I suspect they stopped selling it because it was fairly easy to cross thread the adapter when installing the kit. That would compromise the water resistance, among other things.
You wouldn't happen to have one you'd be interested in selling, would you?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Sorry, the glue is permanent and the case is for the iPhone 4 series. I couldn't find one on eBay either.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I went back and looked. The lens kit was $70 when I bought it in 2013. You could buy the PhotoX case for $100 that includes what I consider the two most useful lenses, flat and macro, and sell your current case for whatever you can get. You can buy the 2X telephoto lens or the fisheye later if you think you need to. Considering that the replacement fisheye lens for your current case, which won't fit the PhotoX case, is out of stock, I suspect there might be a market for your current case.