Number entry for vehicles, track view suggestions

Request and discussion on new / to change features
japtor
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Number entry for vehicles, track view suggestions

Post by japtor »

I love the app (even if I'm just using it while driving around normally for now) but one thing that bugged me immediately was the engine info for the vehicles. The number rollers used are ok for limited selections, but for the RPM range spanning thousands of numbers it's quite annoying, or even the HP/torque which can still range over hundreds of numbers. It's not so bad on the gear ratios since the digits are separated into different rollers...but that still feels a bit awkward. Basically my request there is to just use the number keypad keyboard for that stuff rather than the rollers. For the wheel specs I think the rollers work ok since there's a relatively limited selection so you can flick across the whole range pretty quickly.

On a similar UI vein, one little peeve is that in text fields with default text that you normally just delete, there should be a circular gray "x" in the text field to quickly clear the text out.

For the track view (by which I mean Lap List -> Lap Details -> Track), it'd be nice to have the Map/Satellite/Hybrid toggle like on the regular Map view. In addition to the speed markers, it'd be nice to show max lateral g's in turns. For the Diagram view I find myself swiping to the next/previous statistic accidentally a lot. Could the stat selection be put into a menu/popover/dialog of some sort (perhaps the existing options window) to prevent that? If that's in place the standard scroll momentum could be used to more smoothly view the graphs, and ideally if possible, have the map marker follow the scrolling live. Maybe even a sort of "playback" mode, which would basically just be auto scrolling the graph.

And I guess this is just as much of a question as a suggestion, is it possible to have unspecified POIs show up on tracks? I made a bunch just for markers of stuff around me, but if I set a lap into a track set (like "Work") it won't show the unspecified POIs anymore. I don't want to set them to just a single track set since my "tracks" so far are just places I drive to regularly so the POIs would overlap the areas. Not a huge deal particularly if Map view options get implemented, but it was nice seeing my POIs until I sorted out my "laps" into wherever I was driving.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Number entry for vehicles, track view suggestions

Post by Harry »

The number thing will be fixed in v14. ;)

The integration between LapTimer's technical track display and any kind of map is on my list. I did not proceed on it so far as I consider using different map sources anyway. Showing POIs from the UNSPECIFIED track in the map can be added easily and will not break the logic (UNSPECIFIED is used as a wildcard in some situation). The benefit would be you see triggers set by accident in the map... Will check. For your situation I suggest to copy the POIs and add them to all track sets they are relevant for. You need to exchange the sets anyway (purge / reload) as you will have conflicts otherwise.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
japtor
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by japtor »

Ah thanks, I didn't know you could just do POIs in the same spot in different track sets. I have most stuff set up as Information, just cause having my house as a start/stop trigger meant it was automatically starting just when I was at home just looking around at stuff in the app. Is there a simple/quick way to copy POIs or do I just manually set it for each track set?
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

japtor wrote:Ah thanks, I didn't know you could just do POIs in the same spot in different track sets. I have most stuff set up as Information, just cause having my house as a start/stop trigger meant it was automatically starting just when I was at home just looking around at stuff in the app. Is there a simple/quick way to copy POIs or do I just manually set it for each track set?
Simply go to your Track-Set, look for certify and change the recipients email adress (or else harry will get it ;-) ). You will receive a .hpoil file which basically is a .xml file. You can then open it in a text editor, copy, paste etc. (remember also to change the name of the track set) and then send it back to an email account on your iphone. Open the attachment on your iPhone and it will automatically launch Lap Timer.