Ipod + Kiwi + OBD video overlay

Request and discussion on new / to change features
deco
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Ipod + Kiwi + OBD video overlay

Post by deco »

Hi,

It would be very nice if we could choose to have OBD info such as speed, rpm, temps, etc... shown on video overlay instead of using the ipod's "gps info" which is useless.

Also, I don't understand why connection is so bad, it takes seconds to update RPM - when it shows - while all other software I use can give me a huge amount of "realtime" info with no problem at all, which means there are no connection issues.

I know this is a "gps oriented" product, but I bought it for the video overlay and was quite surprised that I can't simply choose to have my OBD data shown in the video.

This would please lots of people who don't have compatible gps gear, compatibility problems, poor gps reception, etc... or simply have the Ipod + Kiwi combo with no gps.

It's a great product, but If you could manage to put OBD data together with video, this software will pretty much blow every other ipod app out of the water and you'd reach a much larger consumer base. (an Iphone costs more than U$1,000.00 around here).

regards,

deco.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ipod + Kiwi + OBD video overlay

Post by Harry »

Hi Deco,

As analysed correctly, LapTimer is a GPS based product. Switching it to OBD as the main source would create all kinds of problems as the logic necessary to OBD speed, acceleration to approximate the position on track differs fundamentally from what is implemented. I'm aware this is not your direction, but please consider using an inexpensive external GPS source instead - like the TomTom car kit for iPod which is on sale right now.

- Harry

P.S. Update rate on screen depends on regular GPS positions too. This will impact the visualization of OBD data too. LapTimer will simply not work correctly without a GPS.
Image Image Image Image
deco
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by deco »

OK, I did a quick search for the TomTom kit and quite a few options came up, which model would you recommend for the Ipod4?

This sort of stuff is not available around here, so I'd like to make sure what to buy before ordering it.

Thanks,

Deco.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Please check this thread, its a bit complicated. Given the good development in the XGPS150 side, you may consider going for this solution instead.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
deco
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by deco »

This sounds nice enough, I was lucky to find the only one around for $200, which was actually cheaper than I expected. It should be arriving some time next week, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your attention and congrats for such a nice and quick feedback.

regards,

Deco.
deco
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by deco »

Ok, this is how it went:

The gps solution is a little strange, speed lags a little. I hope it improves on version 14 with better Gps support for this model.

The problem that really boggles me is that I get a 2hz minimum connection with the kiwi and laptimer even shows me the clutch red symbol quite right but throttle and Rpm remain dead, sometimes it picks up something briefly, but 99% of the time it just shows nothing.

I'm getting normal readings from rev and dashcommand, so I'm kind of stuck, since laptimer shows me a solid 2.2hz connection to the kiwi,

Any ideas?