Sector Times

Request and discussion on new / to change features
Sh3ban
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Sector Times

Post by Sh3ban »

Hi Harry,

Could you please add feature to see sector/turn times, i.e. between each "information/trigger" point, in order to see where I have improved or lost time.
It is good to see linear and lateral acceleration, but it could be even better to be able to see sector times table and actual map plot with sector times.

Many thanks,
Serge.
Attachments
WCz6_eXLPOg.jpg
WCz6_eXLPOg.jpg (90.53 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sector Times

Post by Harry »

Hi, LapTimer should have all you want already. Please check the Data Recordings area (Lap List -> any Lap -> Preview) for the "Laps" chart. This chart is fully customizable and besides looking at the full lap view (snapshot) with sectors colored (red = fastest, blue = improvement) you can drill down to individual sectors (and select by car and time range) by pressing the small tool item in the top left.

- Harry

Image Image Image Image
Sh3ban
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Sh3ban »

Harry wrote:Hi, LapTimer should have all you want already. Please check the Data Recordings area (Lap List -> any Lap -> Preview) for the "Laps" chart. This chart is fully customizable and besides looking at the full lap view (snapshot) with sectors colored (red = fastest, blue = improvement) you can drill down to individual sectors (and select by car and time range) by pressing the small tool item in the top left.

- Harry
Harry, many thanks for your reply, at the "map view" there are 3 options: lateral/linear accelerations & GPS fix, could you possibly add 4th option such as time between each turn/sector please?
That would be very much appreciated :)
I found the "Laps" view, but its not very user friendly :roll: , hard to understand which sector? and where exactly? Its just colourful bars which tell me nothing at all :?
Dont get me wrong, its a brilliant programm, quite well thought out, your work & effort are very much appreciated!

Serge.
Attachments
Q1SMEWxeTAU.jpg
Q1SMEWxeTAU.jpg (22 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
IMG_1935.PNG
IMG_1935.PNG (66.17 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
IMG_1932.PNG
IMG_1932.PNG (97.82 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The Laps chart has far more data available than any of the snapshots shown. Please understand I cannot double functionality just to offer a different style - this may please some users, and add complexity to all others. In case the Laps view is difficult to understand, please let us discuss what exactly cannot be understood and needs better visualization or explanation. As written above, the Laps view shows a selection of lap side by side. Blue means the respective sector has been an improvement when driven, red sectors mean best sector ever. In the example above, the 8:15 has actually been a very good lap as it improved all sectors but the fifth. In case you want to see an individual sector, select the tool button in Laps and select any sector using the top most button in the configuration view coming up.

- Harry

P.S. In case you want a table view like that shown, please export your laps to .csv and import them into Excel.
Image Image Image Image
Sh3ban
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Sh3ban »

Harry wrote:The Laps chart has far more data available than any of the snapshots shown. Please understand I cannot double functionality just to offer a different style - this may please some users, and add complexity to all others. In case the Laps view is difficult to understand, please let us discuss what exactly cannot be understood and needs better visualization or explanation. As written above, the Laps view shows a selection of lap side by side. Blue means the respective sector has been an improvement when driven, red sectors mean best sector ever. In the example above, the 8:15 has actually been a very good lap as it improved all sectors but the fifth. In case you want to see an individual sector, select the tool button in Laps and select any sector using the top most button in the configuration view coming up.

- Harry

P.S. In case you want a table view like that shown, please export your laps to .csv and import them into Excel.
Thanks Harry, I got your point. A track we are running is quite small, approx 1600 mtrs, I'll just add a few extra sectors to the chart, to get more data.
"Laps view" is simple and straight forward, as a small visual improvement, you could add time difference to color coded bars using small black font (probably), i.e. +0.56 or -1.35 at the appropriate sector etc.
Thanks for your time!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, I add this to the feature request list, makes sense.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Just building on this, I've seen other acquisition data that has a matrix or table which reads each turn of the course (columns) and each lap of your session (rows). And then each row shows the delta +/- in seconds relative to your best lap for each turn. Then you can see although lap 5 was fastest, it was lap 3 where you took turn 2 the fastest. Also where your fastest lap is the baseline for all your deltas, it would also show your "optimal" lap, ie if you pieced together your fastest turn or sector of each lap, your optimal theoretical best lap would be x:xx:xx.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The side by side lap / sector comparison is included in LapTimer already. A fastest virtual lap calculation is part of this display too. The Laps chart is included in Petrolhead and GrandPrix. Laps can be selected by session, car, etc. both lap and sector times can be displayed.

In the upcoming LapTimer version 17.5 I have included sector to sector change times (faster / slower) following the suggestion above. This should actually be exactly the table seen elsewhere. Virtual best calculation is improved too and will be less fragile in case not all laps show the same number of sectors.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Virtual best calculation is improved too and will be less fragile in case not all laps show the same number of sectors.
I was wondering if that could be done without having to delete the offending lap. That would be a big improvement.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Besides a better handling here - you can remove incomplete split times in Lap Details (just Edit + Delete). This will remove the splits only and not remove / change the data recordings.

- Harald
Image Image Image Image