WiFi video sync without iCloud

Request and discussion on new / to change features
johmei
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

WiFi video sync without iCloud

Post by johmei »

The sync capability with iCloud is clever and implemented very well I must say.

If I could dream I would love to make the feature more flexible and faster by using WiFi sync without WAN access. My thinking is that the master recognize the slave devices while in the same wifi and directly transfer the videos to the master. This could even be manual transfer as long as I could use LAN as iCloud is not very fast for me eventhough I have 100/100MBit access at home. The feature would even enable me to transfer the videos while in my car using a portable router/accesspoint without WAN access. Now I am really stretching it but would I even be able to create my own LAN using the WiFi network sharing feature of the iDevice and send data only over LAN not using my data plan for WAN access!?

It may very well be that Apple is prohibiting Apps to communicate over LAN but still something I would love to have if possible in any way.
BMW 335i E92 - iPhone 6 paired with Dual XGPS150A as HLT master, Optrix XD5 cased iPhone 5 and Optrix HD cased iPhone 4 as multicams.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WiFi video sync without iCloud

Post by Harry »

Yes, we have identified this feature request during beta already. As iCloud offers additional benefits and has been implemented already, I have selected it for MultiCam video transfer in this first version. A WiFi-transfer is a valid alternative and will be added in the future. It is definitely possible to do this without an additional wlan hotspot as one of the iPhone involved can serve as such. Apple does care what one does via wlan, restrictions are on BT and cable connections only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
NRGDEAD
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by NRGDEAD »

My buddy and me share Multicam devices. In the upcoming season, I will contribute like 3 iPhones and a GoPro, and he provides his iPhone (using a different Apple ID).
I'm dreaming of some magical Wi-Fi sync for videos, even going so far as having one "render station" iPhone that is not necessarily the master device. This render station could pull all the videos and lap data, render the video, delete everything but the result, then proceed with the next lap.
Just an idea. But I'd be happy doing Apple ID independent Wi-Fi syncing without the hassle of iTunes.
Now you're cookin'!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sounds like supercomputing :-)
Image Image Image Image