Spoken Split and Lap Deltas

Request and discussion on new / to change features
hapnermw
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Spoken Split and Lap Deltas

Post by hapnermw »

Hi Harry,

Likely someone has mentioned this before ...

It would be great to have the option of having laptimer speak the split and lap time deltas using the iOS text to speech support.

In a car the volume of the speaker phone is likely a bit low for someone wearing a helmet to hear; however, if the audio is fed into the car speakers then volume would not be a problem.

It would be like having a driving coach in the car.

This could be the beginning of the development of more sophisticated coaching functionality that provides realtime feedback on various aspects of driving technique.

-- Mark
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spoken Split and Lap Deltas

Post by Harry »

I have added this to v17 already. Problem is that T2S from iOS is not available for apps (can be triggered manually by users only - which is no solution here). So the lady speaking does not sound as nice as Siri does :-)

Harry
Image Image Image Image
spunkt81
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by spunkt81 »

i coupled my iphone and my car stereo so now the lady is loud enough. :)
but is it correct that the time is spoken after completing a session (stop video recording).
when i pass start/finish line no laptime is spoken.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Lap times are spoken when a lap is finished... Does LapTimer detect the start / finish line correctly, and have you turned on the sound settings in LapTimer?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
spunkt81
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by spunkt81 »

i tested the spoken lap times on my last track day. worked fine for the first laps but the delay of the anouncements increased every lap.
in the first laps the lap times were spoken directly after start/finish but in the last laps the times were spoken at the second corner.
checking the recording i realized that first accelaration is missing, in the last laps even obd and gps is missing.

i attached a screen shot from my last lap.

i am using an iphone 4s, iOS 6.1.2 jailbroken, Qstarz 818xt and GoPoint BT-1.

could this be a problem with my hardware or does anyone experience similar problem with spoken lap times?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (103.37 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Speech is generated once the lap finished is written to storage completely. So the reason for delayed speech is most probably due to longer write transactions. The rest of you issue is most probably not related to speech but about any kind of connection issue with your GPS.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
spunkt81
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by spunkt81 »

I thought this could be a problem with speech because all data (gps, acceleration and obd) comes back when the lap time is spoken.
As long writing is done there is no data recorded.

Here is an overlay of my last lap. Data is missing between start/finish an second corner. You can hear the speech in the recording.
Earlier laps are similar - But the delay is not that long (only first corner is missing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRDijX60P1k

PS: After having some problems with gps (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1141) i did not do any experiments and coupled my QStarz 818XT normally with RoqyBT as NMEA GPS.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I'd suggest you try the same scenario using the internal sensor the next time. It is pretty difficult for me to troubleshoot the QStarz / Jailbreak / roqyBT configuration. From what I see from the video, the lap start has been triggered correctly, but no data arrived / has been stored. At least for the GPS part, LapTimer will store this data even if the previous lap's save transaction is not yet finished. OBD fixes are indeed dropped in case LapTimer is busy writing.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

One more approach: please turn off speech output too. I'd like to understand if the two topics are related at all.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image